Thursday, June 04, 2015

Farmgirl Vintage…

As soon as I saw the early pictures from Lori’s (Bee in my Bonnet) new book I knew it was hopeless to resist…I HAD to get this book.  Lucky for me there is a supplier in the U.K. (Kaleidoscope Books) and as soon as they got delivery mine was sent out to me.  This is the first book that I have ever bought where I have jumped right in and started making blocks.  Normally books get bought and then sit on the shelf for a few years with thoughts of “one day…”

I think one of the things that appeals to me about this book is the bright colours that Lori uses.  I already had a stash of 30’s fabrics and 5 -  6” blocks from another pattern and thought it made sense to add to them using the patterns in Lori’s book.

I’ve been busy making more 6” blocks that I really like as well as watching with interest as to what Lori’s shares on her Farm Girl Friday posts.

These blocks are “sew” much fun to make, but unfortunately I made one little mistake …can you spot it?

It was the wing on the bird. 
I couldn’t believe it!

I went running up to my husband and said, “ok, now for just a second I want you to pretend you are a quilter that understands the satisfaction of perfectly matched points..now look at the wing on the bird! Now I want you to have the sympathy of a fellow quilter that understands how distressed I am that I have to unpick those perfect points to fix the wing” 

Hubby did his best to understand while I got out my seam ripper.

Luckily the wing went back in as well as it did the first time and my points aren’t too bad either :o)

After making 7 blocks and adding them to the other 5, I have decided to put them in the barn setting as illustrated in Lori’s book.  It’s really nice just sewing away and not having to work out the math.  I’m really enjoying this project :o)

Until next time...♥

9 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I've been looking at the book for a bit...this may have kicked me over the edge! Love how your blocks are coming along...

Janet said...

Your blocks are lovely! What a fun project :0)

The Cozy Quilter said...

I received the book for Mother's Day and have made several blocks so far. I am working on a chicken coop quilt....love your blocks!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Jane! This is going to be so beautiful quilt! The book looks exciting with so many kind of blocks and your Fabrics are just perfect for this! x Teje

Thimbleanna said...

How Fun! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that first block! All the little fabrics are so interesting!!!

Rebecca said...

have the book. Its at the head of my bed and its got sticky book marks all over the place for the blocks I want to make up...

Timi said...

I can't find any mistake in your quilts! They look perfect to me! :o)

Shirley said...

It will be a very pretty quilt and that little chick could have been trying to spread his wings. Love your stash of pinks.

Bekah said...

Those are very sweet - I love the teapot! Who helped you pick that one? :P