Monday, November 03, 2014

Strippy Hexagon Quilt

This past week was half-term around here and to keep myself busy between day trips and the like, I got started on this strippy hexagon quilt.  I haven’t done one before, but after saving tutorials on how to make one I thought it was high time that I get on with it! :o)

To get myself started I did a little planning on EQ7 and worked out that with 42 strips I could make a decent 40ish x 45ish quilt centre.  I probably will add some borders once it is all together, but I will worry about that later.

You could cut out the triangles using a standard rotary ruler, but as it happens I have this 60 degree ruler that did the job perfectly.  I bought this ruler in the depths on Ontario about 15 years ago and knew it would come in handy one day!

I only have 1/2 of it together so far, but I’m really pleased at how well it is coming together.  All my points are matching and I’m loving how these soft colours are playing nicely together.

I have been waiting for a nice day to get some pictures taken and this morning didn’t disappoint.  Even my Cath Kidston pin cushion looks good in this light! :o)

Right, time to get back to the sewing machine!

Until next time...♥

9 comments:

Ellyn said...

oh so pretty!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have made one of this quikts before...they go together quickly and look great when they are done. Love the fabrics you have used and I also lovd that pincushion!

Chookyblue...... said...

just sent my hexie quilt off to be quilted........

Katherine said...

Oh, how lovely! Pretty fabrics, Jane. Your photos are always so wonderful and inspiring.

audrey said...

Wow! This looks difficult! Love the colors.:)

Jackie said...

Your quilt is coming along beautifully! Very precise!

LOVE the chair pincushion!

Shirley said...

Looks great Jane.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- it looks wonderful Jane. I love it when something we hang onto for so long can finally have a purpose!

Karen said...

A beautiful quilt, and I love your little chair pincushion!!