Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Update…

Time for an update. I've been having a really good time posting progress pictures on Instagram, but wanted to share what I've been working on in more detail. I have to say Instagram has really spurred me on to share more as-it-happens pictures.  Plus, getting the hearts and comments along the way has kept me motivated. Jan from Be*mused put it perfectly on her blog yesterday that when you blog you almost save up the pictures until you have enough to post, but Instagram seems to be the forum to drop in with little snippets. Not much use if you're not on Instagram… which is why I'm posting a recap of the last week or so.

So on to the pictures...

This week I found my self eagerly waiting for the fabric shop to open so I could buy more red fabric. I’ve recently done a lot of Christmas sewing and I've used most of my bright reds up. So straight off the school run I drove into town, stopped off at Costa and had a coffee while foot-tapping and clock watching until 9am struck. When you need fabric …you need fabric right?!

As for Christmas sewing, I've made another mug rug, same dimensions as last year, but this time I've appliqued a tree in place of the patchwork.

I’ve also been sewing up an advent calendar.  I saw one on Pinterest and worked out how to make my own version.  I changed the wording at the top to be more in keeping with the Brits.  (Happy Christmas rather than Merry Christmas)

I’ve also made another handful of vinyl pouches.  Considering that I made about 15 last year they have all been claimed and put to use.  DD2 has quite a few for school and has used them to hold paintbrushes and pencil crayons.  I decided to get a little playful with the fabric choices and chose some fab Alexander Henry fabric with girls on bikes.  I somehow don’t think DD2 will want that one for school! :o)

After all the Christmas sewing, I took a break to have a go at Lori’s FREE birthday block.  I’ve not had much experience with Lori’s patterns, but after making this cake block I got to thinking what other patterns could I make?!  I can see these being rather addictive and I’m thinking three cake blocks together would make a rather nice birthday table runner…

So what’s next…?  Well half-term is coming up and I have another quilt project in mind to keep me busy.  Spurred on by the fabrics in the cake block I’ve dug out some more florals and pinks.  Watch this space for developments :o)

Until next time...♥

9 comments:

Karendianne said...

Great post. Ditto sentiment re Instagram! beautiful work and I agree with the b-day cake runner idea. :)

Timi said...

I love your Christmas sewing!!! They look great!

Catherine said...

Wow, you have been busy. I love the mug rug and Advent calendar. Christmas will be here in no time. I downloaded the birthday cake pattern too but have not found time to make it yet. Too busy getting a Christmas quilt top together.

Thimbleanna said...

Busy, Busy Jane -- it looks like you're getting ready for Christmas!!!

Jo said...

I like the cake block. Good idea for a table runner.
Advent calendar is so cute too

Jill said...

The vinyl pockets look like a great solution for so many things, knitting stuff comes to mind. Do fabric stores in the states carry vinyl?
The Advent calendar is lovely. What will you put in the pockets?
I love seeing how so many people have made the cakes. I have yet to try it but I think a table runner is great idea!
Thanks for the interesting post.

Katie said...

Love your cake block. Now I REALLY want to make one. :-)

Juliann in WA said...

Seems to be a number of bloggers talking about Instagram these days. I love seeing pics daily. Love that. advent idea.

Jane in Wales said...

It seems as if you are all ready for Christmas! You have been so busy!