Monday, October 06, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

I was asked by Susan from Wazzo! Newsbits to take part in the Around the World Blog Hop. Susan's blog was completely new to me, but after looking through her past posts she won't be a stranger from now on. She's a long-arm quilter that does some really lovely work.  She’s in the midst of moving and I wish her well that it all goes to plan.

Anyway...on to the questions!

1. What am I working on?

Well, what I'm I not working on might be a better question. As you can see from the back of my sofa...lots! As I'm running a class for the ladies at the Guildhouse, much of my time has been spent on samples. We are working on some pieced blocks this term and each week I've been showing them a different method for quilt-as-you-go. The first week we looked at this method on youtube where you bring the backing fabric to the front (see the 4th picture below) and this week it was the divide and conquer method.  I learnt this method from doing the Lynne Edwards sampler, but this video shows it quite well too.  Next week it will be the Sharon Pederson method that uses sashing.  Andrea did a great tutorial a few years back…you can find it here.  I also found a machine version that I tried out. It was good, but she cuts her strips 2" wide and I found that too fat so I tried it with 1 3/4" strips and it worked perfectly. (second picture below) So as you can see there has been a lot of sewing, a lot of quilting and a lot of writing.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Good question, I'm not sure it differs too much, but if I was to pick a theme for my work, it would be frugal, scrappy, but coordinated. I love using many fabrics and often my quilts are a feast of different colours. In the past they could look quite messy, so I'm better now at keeping some control over my scraps. For example, these mini granny squares all have different fabrics, but I've used the same fabric for the outside and it coordinates with the centre. I find that if there isn't a little control over what fabrics are used the eye doesn't have a place to rest and it can look busy.

3. Why do I write/create what I do?

Sanity! That's the short answer...

The long answer is that it evolved over time. I was always surround by needlework...my mother was always doing needlepoint or knitting and my grandmother sewed EVERYTHING..including some underwear (which I remember didn't have much stretch!) In 1990, my grandmother passed away and she left behind a collection of sewing notions, fabric and of course her Kenmore Sewing Machine. Being the only grandchild living in Canada I inherited the lot. I didn't know what to do with it, but it wasn't long before I bought a pattern and had a go at sewing clothes. I probably wasn't very good at it, but it was how I got started. By 1994 the scraps were starting to pile up and being the frugal gal that I am (with Scottish ancestry) I couldn't bear to part with them. It was around this time that a friend mentioned patchwork. At first I thought "What a stupid idea...why cut it up only to sew it back together again!!?", but then I got to thinking it might be a way to use the scraps. The more I got into patchwork, the less I made clothes and before I knew it I was donating all my non-cotton fabrics and perfecting my 1/4" seam.

4. How does my writing/creating process work?

These days it usually starts with Pinterest! In the old days it would be magazines, but it always starts with some form of inspiration usually a technique. I love clever methods! I love anything where you start with a square, chop it, sew it this way and that and tada...gorgeous quilt! If you look at my tutorials you'll find a few clever ideas..Well, I think they're clever :o) From the technique comes the colour…mostly scraps and then I get sewing.  I’m pretty good about starting and finishing without too much of a gap in-between.  I usually wait until a have two or three tops ready for quilting and then will do a batch job of getting them finished.

So that's me in a nutshell. Who's next? Well I was suppose to tag 3 more bloggers, but didn't...so I'll pass it on to YOU! If you fancy playing along, answer the four questions below and let me know that you are joining in!

1. What am I working on?
2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
3. Why do I write/create what I do?
4. How does my writing/creating process work?

Until next time...♥

4 comments:

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Jane! Great post and wonderful photos of your beautiful Works! x Teje

Thimbleanna said...

Fun post Jane -- it looks like you have a ton of stuff going on!!!

Bekah said...

I'm going to do mine on Sunday :)
You gave pretty good answers though, and since we're so alike, I don't know what to write! :P

Juliann in WA said...

I am participating in this blog hop too. My post goes up on Monday morning.