Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Packwood House…

Yesterday I took a break from sewing samples for class and preparing notes and went on a mini field trip with two friends.  We visited the beautiful Packwood House in Lapworth, Warwickshire.  I don’t often get the opportunity to visit National Trust Properties, so this was a treat.

The original house dates back to the mid 1500’s and was owned by the Fetherston family who were there until 1876.  In the early 1900’s it was bought by the Ash family and in the 1920’s it was stripped back and restored back to a Tudor styled home by Graham Baron Ash.  As a result many of the features of the house were brought in from other sources.  There is a fireplace from Stratford-upon-Avon and some of the furniture was bought from the near by Baddesley Clinton.  There are portraits around the house that are Tudor, but the people in them have no connection to the property.  Although a beautiful place, it felt a bit like it was missing something as it is one man’s collection of Tudor items…more like a museum than a home.

I think what impressed me more was the gardens.  There is a lovely kitchen garden and a topiary garden with yew hedges that are magical.  Walking between them I felt like at any moment I would see the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland or turn and find the Queen of Hearts! 

I would love to go back with a better camera in hand to capture all the details.  So much character in the doors, in the woodwork and the stones.

We had time for a spot of lunch in the beautiful cafe.  I had pumpkin, coconut and coriander soup and fresh bread..it was delicious and judging by the pumpkins in the garden made very locally!

Until next time...♥

7 comments:

antique quilter said...

just beautiful, I always love your photos, you capture such beauty. thanks for sharing your part of this world with us
I would love to visit sometime
Kathie

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sounds like you had a fun day! I always love a field trip!

Jo said...

Looks and sounds a lovely place to visit.

Gramma Rita said...

Sounds like a lovely place to visit, and your pictures are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing with us. I am pretty sure this is the only way I will ever see this. :)

Shirley said...

Looks lovely and the soup sounds delicious.

alexa said...

What a nice day! A perfect break, indeed. It feels like there is so much scope for the soul and the dreamer in a home like this. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos.

Bekah said...

That looks so pretty! I can see what you mean about feeling like you should be seeing a white rabbit! :P