Monday, July 14, 2014

Kaffe-o-licious

Two weeks ago I put DD2 on the bus with school for a 4 day residential trip to Castleton while at the same time prepared for a retreat to Bath for myself and the DH.  You may think that this sounds terribly romantic and delightful…but the reality didn’t quite work out that way.  On day 2, I came down with an almighty cold which got progressively worse over the course of the week.  If that wasn’t enough to contend with, every evening we had a teary call from DD2 who was suffering from terrible homesickness.  So even though in body I was in Bath, my head was definitely somewhere else.  A shame really, but just the same I did my best to enjoy my time there.

The weather was warm and dry and the sights around Bath breathtaking, but the one place that was on my must-see list…cold or no cold was the American Museum

Upon our arrival I knew something extra special was going on as I spied this yarn bombed lamp post.  It was, of course, the introduction to the Kaffe Fassett exhibition that is going until November.

Every where you looked there was yarn and knitting and crochet…a complete feast for the eyes :o)

Then just outside the exhibition hall was a HUGE tree decorated from top to tail in pom-poms and Kaffe fabric lampshades.

The lampshades I think were upside down buckets and the impact of colour was enough to brighten one’s day (even with a cold!!)

Inside the exhibition were several classic examples of Kaffe’s work from embroidery to knitting and quilts.

Inside the main building there was more of the show stopping work and drawings showing the design process of his unique fabric.

The American Museum also have an extensive collection of antique quilts on huge racks (much like the racks they use for displaying posters only bigger).  It was lovely to flip through the different ones and talk to the other visitors who were ooohing and ahhing along with me.  Even the DH stood nearby nodding his head and appreciating the quilts and tolerated my waffle as I told him about each style or technique.

After such an inspiring day, we returned to the campsite and enjoyed a spectacular summer’s evening.  Several hot air balloons floated overhead, landing in the next field over… 

…while DH and I enjoyed a glass of wine before retiring to bed. 

We had another day in Bristol visiting the SS Great Britain, but my cold was very much taking over at that point and the day was cut short.  We returned home in time to collect DD2 who despite all the tears and the onset of her own nasty cold seemed to have a blast.  (why? oh why do we worry so much!!?)

Until next time...♥

11 comments:

Jo said...

Sounds like a great trip despite your nasty colds. Bath is just lovely. When I come over to visit I stay at a place near Whitney. How far are you from there

Juliann in WA said...

Sorry you were not well but what lovely things to see on your little trip. Thanks for sharing your pics. I am re-inspired!

audrey said...

Too bad about your terrible cold, but I'm glad you enjoyed some of your stay. LOVE that yarn bombing!

Cathi said...

I'm very sorry you got such a miserable cold, but am so glad you were well enough to enjoy your day and take all those fabulous pictures. It must have been an absolutely magical experience!

Ellyn said...

oh I do understand about the worrying, it's our mission as moms I'm afraid! That Kaffe exhibit is amazing! I do hope you're feeling better now

Jodi said...

Hi there! I just Googled how to FMQ butterflies, and your video came up. Thanks a bunch! Glad I found you!

Janet said...

Ohhhh, Bath! I hope you share more pictures! I'm sorry you came down with a cold. I hope you're on the mend. Wish I could have been looking over your shoulder at the antique quilts!!

Thimbleanna said...

WOW! How lucky to be able to go to the exhibition -- it looks wonderful. And that TREE!!! WOW -- those shades are all up so high too -- how fantastic! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!

Kitty said...

So much loveliness in one post ... but that tree 'wins' for me. Amazing. Must have been fabulous to see in person.

I hope you're all feeling much better now.

Frances Arnold said...

How fun to have seen the Kaffe exhibit....i am truly jealous!!!!

Stina... said...

Fun fun FUN... Would love to have been able to see this exhibition... Bet it was a lot of inspiration!!! Thanks for showing some of it!! have a great summer!! :0)