Sunday, April 20, 2014

Strawberry Fields Forever…

Back in March I shared a quick way to use up a layer cake with very little waste. Well the quilt is finished and I have to say it is my most favourite quilt I've made. The whole thing from start to finish was a joy to sew, stitch and quilt.

I think part of the reason it was so lovely to work with is in part because of the gorgeous fabrics, but also that I used Hobbs 80/20 fusible wadding…it makes the basting process painless and held the layers together perfectly for mindless machine quilting.

On the backing I added something extra.  This was my DH’s idea as he thought the quilt would suit the caravan perfectly.  So I have appliqued a caravan and car and stitched “we’re all going on a summer holiday” in variegated Perle cotton.

Until next time...♥

20 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

A perfect quilt for a summer holiday! I love the car and caravan on the back! Well done!

Quilter Kathy said...

A beautiful quilt - love the applique and embroidery touches!

Jo said...

How cute is that back...lovely

Terry said...

It's beautiful! I love the caravan on the back! I love your profile picture too! :0)

Gertie Pye said...

This is a lovely quilt Jane and the appliqued caravan on the back is an excellent finishing touch! Well done x

Jill said...

The caravan, car, and embroidery on the back are perfect. The quilt is lovely. You're right, the fabric is just yummy!

Elizabeth said...

Love it! You really have been busy, such a pretty quilt too, the back is wonderful too - perfect quilting, I really need to try quilting.

Mad about Craft said...

Very cute!!

Liz McMahon said...

Fabulous way to use layer cakes, I'm thinking I might do a giant disappearing nine patch with one too? Love your new profile pic too..hope it's starting to warm up a little up in your hemisphere ..
xxx

Leanne said...

Great quilt but I LOVE the back.

Liz said...

That is a lovely and very personal quilt, very pretty.

Lynda said...

I bet you had fun choosing the fabrics for the caravan! Great job!

Tanya said...

Your "label" on the back is really creative! And the whole quilt is so colorful!

By the way, I REALLY like your profile picture. What pretty curly hair!

Thimbleanna said...

What a great quilt Jane! And I LOVE that special little caravan touch on the back -- too cute!!!

Timi said...

It's such a beautiful quilt! I like its back! :o)
And your new photo is lovely!!!

audrey said...

Very sweet. LOVE the back!

Bekah said...

Lovely quilt - the writing in varigated thread is very effective! :)

Katherine said...

Sweet new quilt, Jane and your caravan label is just adorable!

Gretchen said...

Beautiful quilt! Thanks for the tutorial too. I think one of these is in my near sewing future. Love the back too.

Carole said...

Love, love, love the trailer and car, and the quilt of course!