Thursday, April 24, 2014

Can I have a Drumroll Please…

Fifteen years ago I started this quilt with some friends in Montreal.  They were each working on the 1998 Piecemaker’s calendar quilt and as I was late to the party I started the 1999 calendar quilt.  We met in each other’s homes about once a month and shared our progress along the way.  I had never tried applique before and my friends assured me that they would guide me along the way.  What a way to learn, starting with a quilt that was so big!!

Starting with the ship in the comer, freezer paper templates were made for each shape and thread basted to fabric before being hand-stitched down. 

The process was slow and as other projects took my fancy this one kept being put to one side.

By about 2002 I got it together as a top, but the sheer size of quilting it overwhelmed me, so once again it was put away until I could work out what to do next.

Then a couple of years ago Liz offered to get it onto the long-arm and put in some stabilizing quilting which would not only get the quilting started, but also act as basting so I could go in an hand quilt the rest.

I used Perle cotton (size 8) and quilted in the relief in the landscape.  That went fairly quickly before it was time to start on the borders

I used a cable design on the borders and used up literally all the blue cotton off one reel.  If I had had to thread one more strand I wouldn’t have had enough thread….it was that close!

So here it is all done… TA-DA  Completed, washed and on the bed…I’m so relieved it’s finally finished!!!

Until next time...♥

26 comments:

Timi said...

WOW!!!! This quilt is amazing!!!

Gertie Pye said...

Wowsers what a labour of love and over such a long period! I think you may have just made a real family heirloom here! It's beautiful, well done x

Leanne said...

Drum roll, loud applause, cheering you deserve it all.

Terry said...

It's beautiful! Congratulations on getting it finished! :0)

Lorette Cole said...

This is beautiful! I watched a friend make this quilt way back then... I loved to see the progress she made every month. You've persisted and it shows the love you put into it! Great job!

The Cozy Quilter said...

When you look up the word "perseverance" in the dictionary, you will see a picture of this quilt! Congrats on a fabulous finish!

Ellyn said...

wow! so beautiful!

Vicki W said...

It's really lovely!

Caroline said...

Fantastic job!

Jo said...

I have made this quilt too all by hand. It is a lovely design and you have done a great job

Katherine said...

I'm standing up clapping and cheering, Jane. What an amazing quilt!

Anita in Florida said...

What an amazing job you did on this quilt...it's truly a work of art! I bought this calendar when I first started quilting, even began buying the different landscape fabrics...but never even started it.

Elizabeth said...

It's amazing, so much detail too, certainly worth finishing as it's so lovely, it also brings back memories for you too. big pat on the back needed I think.

Paula, the quilter said...

Well done! I have the pattern but never made it. I also have their pattern for the trains and the crazy quilt trees. Never made them either. I am duly impressed!

audrey said...

So incredible! What a lot of learning packed into one quilt.:)

SuperMomNoCape said...

What a beautiful quilt! And a great finish.

Kate North said...

Looks great :)

Shirley said...

Banging the drum very loud. Well done Jane. X

SIMPLESEW said...

FRecking Gorgeous.. I would love to learn more about the process..

Gretchen said...

A masterpiece!!! A quilt to treasure that is for sure!

Quilt Guru said...

Hi Jane! Congratulations. I wonder how all the other quilts in our group turned out? My quilt is packed away in little pieces in a shipping box from when I moved from Montreal to Sudbury. One day I will take the bull by the horns and get mine done. I'll be thinking of you when I do find the time to finish it. Well done my friend, well done indeed! Hugs & kisses, Glenna.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Jane -- that's awesome! Congratulations on sticking with it -- there's nothing like finishing a long-term project. It's beautiful!

Lynda said...

It looks amazing! And only took 15 years!

Tanya said...

What a masterpiece!

Rose Marie said...

Bravo .... you hung in there and what a beauty you now have!

marcevallejo (MIA) said...

Wowowow this is a piece of Art!

Gorgeous.

Greetings from Belgium.

Marcela