Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Then & Now…

Something rather amazing happened today and I just had to share… 

Today, I discovered that I quite literally walked a mile in my father’s footsteps… only I walked it 40 years later.  I was sorting through some slides this afternoon when I came across some very familiar images.  As you can imagine the slides aren’t labelled with anything other than a date and as I lifted them to the light squinting to make out the shapes I was surprised when I immediately recognized the cobbled streets of Clovelly.

Back in 2012 we spent the day in Clovelly and I had taken many lovely pictures…What I hadn’t realized was that I must have stood in almost the exact same place as my father and took almost identical pictures.

Below on the left are his pictures…  Mine are on the right…

The only one that was different was the picture of the pub.   But we both took pictures of it! :o)

Finding these slides was a pleasant surprise.  I wasn’t looking for them, but finding them made me feel just that little bit closer to my Dad.    You wonder why you take up certain hobbies and I guess I took to photography just like he did :o)

Until next time...♥

21 comments:

Gertie Pye said...

Incredible ... there are people standing in exactly the same places in both photos! What a lovely find x

Ellyn said...

wow! what a treasure!

Jane S. said...

That is so neat...it must have made you feel very close to your father. :)

Terry said...

That is so cool! :0)

Jackie said...

That gives me goosebumps! What a special find!

Elizabeth said...

My sister took a photo from the exact same spot as the top phot about 40 years ago

Tammy said...

That is so cool, you must have been delighted to find that treasure and know that you both took a interest in the same shots. Very special!!

imquilternity said...

That's pretty amazing! How wonderful to have those photos that your dad took... great minds think alike??

Poppyprint said...

Oh my gosh, this is so wonderful! What a marvelous discovery - thank you for sharing!!

Elizabeth said...

Such a lovely and interesting find for you. 40 years ago sounds so long ago until you read the date and then you realise it wasn't so long ago which kind of makes you realise how fast time is flying.

Leanne said...

Wow that is amazing a little bit spooky really.

Lynda said...

How lovely!

Sandra said...

I was sorting photos today and found almost the exact same photo looking down the hill from summer 1996 - its a pretty timeless place!

Canadian Abroad said...

That is so cool! I love that you have almost his exact eye for things. It makes your photographs all the more special.

Janet said...

Those are amazing!! They are like before and after pictures but taken unintentionally! WOW! Looks like a beautiful place :0)

Thimbleanna said...

What a fun find Jane! I love seeing the two versions of the pictures -- things don't really change that much after all!

Kitty said...

Awww, that is so lovely. I can imagine how it made you smile. x

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

What a treasure--both the walking and the photography

Tanya said...

I've got goosebumps now. How wonderful!

Jo said...

What lovely photos
We were there in 2011.

Teje Karjalainen said...

How exciting, Jane! Looks beautiful place! x Teje