Monday, February 03, 2014

Sometimes you just have to...

Sometimes you just have to try something you have seen online...you know how it is, you see the video and that's it.. a new project has to be started NOW!

I have been resisting the urge to try the Missouri Star Quilt's Disappearing Churn Dash for the past week, but when a donation of bright fabrics came my way for Project Linus I could resist no more. Lynda, I hope you have some sunglasses at the ready when this quilt comes your way. :o)

I wanted to make best use of the fabric, so I cut my squares 16" to start and followed to tutorial through until I had a giant pinwheel block. I then squared it up to 21", which happens to be a lovely number to divide in 3. With the block cut in thirds and the units all ready I rearranged them to make this giant version which will measure roughly 19" finished.

With 4 of them together and a border, it will be a good size for a child. A word of caution with this technique you have LOTS of bias edges!! I starched my fabric heavily before I cut it out to be sure that nothing moved as I stitched my block together. I wouldn't try this as a beginner as you really do need a light hand with all those stretchy sides.

Until next time...♥

11 comments:

Ellyn said...

a great block! I'm pinning the tutorial to try sometime

Thimbleanna said...

That's one of my favorite blocks ever. I love the churn dash and the pinwheel and together they're perfect. I used that block on a quilt for one of my boys years ago. It looks great in pink!

Janet said...

It's a pretty block in a very pretty color :0)

LynCC said...

OK. That is just awesome. Glad you shared, because I hadn't yet seen the disappearing pinwheels. Very cool!

Canadian Abroad said...

Love your description of how the block is made,

Lynda said...

That's great! You know I love clever piecing. (And the spaceship iron which jumps up and hovers over the ironing board in the video is fascinating!)

Lynn Koeppen said...

Nice! I love their tutorials. I'm going to start a new quilt using the Magic Square Quilt Tutorial Using Pre-cut Fabrics.

Elizabeth said...

You always tempt me with links and tutorials - but I must be good and finish my "To Do" list before starting anything else.

Little Busy Bee said...

I like her videos, nice ideas for quilts! Thanks for your advice about the sewing.

Sue Smith said...

I love this block and it's definitely a future project for me - love the pink!

Kitty said...

Your work is as beautiful as ever, Jane. x