Friday, January 31, 2014

I'm mentioning it....

So things must be going well... Back in this post I told you I've taken over the Sewing Club at my daughter's school and being a new venture I wasn't sure whether I would post about our projects. If it was going badly I wouldn't mention it, but I'm happy to report that after 3 weeks I'm still alive and enthusiastic about my new endeavour. As a first challenge I had them start with this owl.

Perhaps a slightly ambitious project, but a successful one as you can see from the examples below. (some have already gone home before I could get a picture, so these are some that are still in progress)

 

It has been a steep learning curve as I've discovered that dexterity of children ranges quite a bit from Year 3 to Year 6, but none the less they have produced the most darling creatures which they all seem to be quite proud of.

Next up on the project list is something that became a debate between me and my husband. I thought it would be nice to make a tissue holder, but as my DH pointed out, what 8 year old has need of a tissue holder? Well with half the pieces cut out the definition of out next project was swiftly changed to a mobile phone case. Armed with the pieces of felt I announced to the children that we would be making a mobile phone case. The children seemed quite excited at that idea, but what I hadn't anticipated was that they would know one manufacturer from another and I was bombarded with questions as to whether it would hold various iphones, ipods and blackberries!!? I had to be honest and say I wasn't sure, but if it didn't hold their mother's phone, they could always use it to hold a pack of tissues! LOL

Until next time...♥

16 comments:

Jill said...

The owls are adorable! Good on you for taking on such a project. I used to teach preschool, the most complicated sewing we managed was sewing buttons on pieces of felt. I can't wait to see the phone/tissue cases.

Terry said...

Those owls are adorable! Great idea about the phone cases/tissue holders! :0)

audrey said...

Those owls are super sweet! What a good learning project.:)

sewkalico said...

Fabulous! Love your quick thinking!

Shirley said...

Bless the little darlings. Technokids. I they have all made super attempts at their owls. Well done Jane we have some super stitchers up and coming.

Fiona said...

adorable owls.... a big challenge taking that on...but it sounds like you will do a wonderful job...
Hugz

The Cozy Quilter said...

Wonderful owls! Whoooo! Whoooo! The cell phone cases are a good idea too.

Susan said...

Cte little owls, lovely to see kids sewing. I had a good laugh at the tissue/phone holder dilemma. Good luck either way.

Gertie Pye said...

These little owls are great! I will be watching your school sewing project with interest as it's something I would like to set up at my kids' school as an after school club when they are a bit older.

Ellyn said...

oh those owls are wonderful! My kiddos would love to make those too. was it your own pattern? Very fun

Lynda said...

We're technological dinosaurs, Jane, even you!

Linda said...

What great owls! I love seeing ideas for getting kids sewing!

Cathi said...

Those owls are adorable! How fabulous to get kids interested in sewing! Now I can't wait to see the phone holders!

Sheilaf said...

Love your ideas, they will look back so proudly on those owls. Cannot imagine what you will be making by the end of the school year. You go girl.

Lisa J. said...

I love the darling owls...and I am sure their mothers would love a tissue case! I've been following your blog for a couple of years but just recently got the google account so now I can comment and you know I am out here (referring to an earlier post about not many comments)

Katherine said...

Oh, looks like a brilliant success. Such a wonderful collection of the most darling owls, teacher Jane. :o)