Tuesday, January 21, 2014

First Finish for Twenty-fourteen…

It's a good feeling when you can get your first finish of the year completed in January.  Woohoo!  This quilt was started back in May 2013.  You may recall some of the very early stages of piecing when I sat on the patio with a cup of tea.  That’s such a distance memory now in the depths of winter.  It was designed and made to support the class I’ve been teaching at the adult education centre.

Each of the blocks teaches a technique…from straight nine patch, to half-square triangles, quarter square triangles, applique and y seams. 

So far out of the original 10 students, 3 have them sewn into tops and the rest aren’t far behind.  What always amazes me is how different they all look.  That has to be the best part of designing when you see how people interpreted it.

Along the way I’ve learned a lot too.  Like how freezer paper shrinks! and how much I really do like hand-quilting.

The only problem with finishing a long term project like this is deciding on what next?  I think next is to complete my oldest project which dates back to 1999!  The post I’ve linked to is from my guest post I did on Sew We Quilt back in 2011.  I finish the post saying 2011 might be the year it gets finished! ROFLOL!!!!  errr…more like 2014!

Until next time...♥

10 comments:

Susan said...

Your sampler is lovely, the birdies so cute. Good luck with your UFO.

Ellyn said...

a beautiful finish! whatever you tackle next, it will be lovely!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- look at all that beautiful hand quilting -- it's gorgeous Jane! Now -- on to that UFO LOL!

audrey said...

Your sampler quilt is very sweet! It's great that there are already a couple finishes from the center too. Your blast from the past is wonderful! Good luck on finishing!!

Tammy said...

A finish in January! Bravo well done! The birds are fabulous and I love the variety of quilting techniques.

Janet said...

Your handquilting looks lovely!! A beautiful finish :0)

Lynda said...

When you said your oldest UFO was from 1999, I felt a bit smug, because last year I finished all my really old UFOs! However, this quilt is worthy of having been around that long - it's fabulous!

Shirley said...

Well done Jane. A finish is a finish. I have plenty of golden oldies to finish too. One even has a label on it saying 2002.!! I shall look forward to seeing your students quilts.

Liz said...

I was trying to pick a favourite block I thought it was the hexi flowers then the stars but it is all lovely. look forward to meeting your students and seeing their quilts too.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Jane,
Finally I'm getting caught up with reading a few blogs, January has certainly flown by.
Well done on finishing your first project of 2014. I thought I had a pile of UFO but I don't think I have any that go back to 1999.
Happy stitching....