Sunday, December 08, 2013

Latest Quilt…

This weekend my cousin is celebrating her daughter's christening and as a gift I have made her a quilt. I just love how quick this came together. The nine patches were made with fabrics in my scrap bin, some of which are from my daughter’s dresses from their childhood.

I made all the star points with pretty pinks and tied the blocks together with light blue sashing and lime green corner stones. The border fabric has all those colours to tie to whole quilt together.

I decided to try a new-to-me product..Hobbs fusible wadding. I think it's my new favourite product in that it took me mere minutes to baste this 40" x 40" quilt together. I have seen two methods..one is to fuse the backing first and then fuse the front on after or you can layer all three and fuse the layers together all at once. The fusible isn't like heat 'n bond in that it is more of a sticky temporary bond and the layers can be peeled and repositioned as need be. Quilting the layers was so easy and the end result was a nice smooth quilt and NO pleats. The quilt washed well and came out of the dryer snuggly soft.

All quilts need a label and I used this opportunity to try yet another new-to-me product. I recently read about Posca paint pens by Uni and read that they are colourfast once they are heated with an iron. So after stamping the bunny in Versacraft ink, I coloured it in with the Posca paints. There was no bleeding and the colours were lovely and vibrant. I used a Pentel Fabric pen for the lettering. After my label was complete I set it with an iron. The label looks as good now after washing as it did before. A winner! (the only thing that isn’t a winner is that I stamped the “stitched together with love” upside down…oh well..proves it’s made by a real human! 

Until next time...♥

11 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Such a lovely little quilt! I haven't tried the fusible yet, mainly because I seem to make HUGE quilts.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love making baby quilts! Yours is just right for the new baby girl!

Quilter Kathy said...

An awesome quilt with a really special label!

Terry said...

It's beautiful! :0)

Janet said...

So pretty! A lovely gift. The label made me smile :0)

audrey said...

This quilt is so sweet! Really lovely and so cuddly looking. Great label too. Thanks for the info. about the pens!

Elizabeth said...

Love your pretty quilt, good idea about the basting, I must try it on my next project and as I seem to be tempted again by stars I really should start another quilt. happy stitching.

Lynda said...

Lovely quilt - I particularly like the lime green cornerstones! Perfect!

Thimbleanna said...

It's beautiful Jane! I love how you tied all the scraps together by having the same color sashing and star points -- perfect!

Brandi said...

Jane, this is so beautiful. I love that some of the fabric is sentimental pieces from your daughter's dresses.

serendipity said...

Gorgeous quilt. What a lovely gift. xx