Monday, November 11, 2013

Four Lily Block (Hand-Piecing)

Over the summer I got a real taste for hand-piecing when I hand-pieced blocks the for the quilt that is currently in the quilting frame.  I still have a bit of hand quilting to do, but I fancied a break.  So when I saw this block on “The Way I Sew It" I knew it would be wonderful to hand-piece.

The block measures 16” finished so the curves are gentle and easy to sew.  To make sure everything would go together nicely, I made my templates from plastic for accurate shapes. (I’ve learned my lesson!)

And made matching marks along the edges of the pieces so I’d have places to match up and pin along the way.  I also took note of the grainline of each shape and marked it with an arrow on the plastic.  I then drew around each shape on the wrong side of the fabric using a mechanical pencil (a.k.a. propelling pencil for those of you in the U.K….yes there is a story here about how I confused all my students and sent them on a wild goose chase around Rugby looking for this specialized pencil!  Ooops!)

Each motif was cut leaving a 1/4” seam around each shape.  Once all my pieces were prepared, I sat watching Downton Abbey while sewing away.  I always pin the next matching point and sew along the line with a running stitch.  After every 3 stitches I take a backstitch.  I start and finish each seam with a flat knot just as Cathi demo-ed on her blog.  It’s a great way to secure those seams.

The block sewed up really well.  Here are some of the pieces together. 

And here it is all together.  I’m not sure whether to make 3 more and let it grow from there or to use it as a medallion… I think I better check if I have enough fabric first!

Until next time...♥

12 comments:

Howdy said...

Love that flat knot... will also come in handy for applique as well. Love your block!

Ellyn said...

that's a beautiful block!

Nancy said...

This block is so beautiful, especially with the colors you chose, that I'm almost tempted to try it.

Janet said...

Wow Jane! That's beautiful!!

Chookyblue...... said...

great block..........

audrey said...

Amazing looking block! Thanks for the info about the flat knot. I'm definitely going to be trying that one out!

Lynda said...

I too have recently discovered the advantages of hand piecing - it's especially good for curves!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Wow Jane -- it's beautiful. I love the colors!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a really cool block to stitch by hand! Looks wonderful!

black bear cabin said...

wow...you made that block look easy :)
very pretty

Rebeca said...

Que lindo! É mesmo gostoso costurar vendo Tv.

Beijos

P. said...

Your block is beautiful, Jane! I'm glad you stitched along with the tutorial! :)