Friday, September 06, 2013

Yorkshire Moors Part 2…

Day 1 of our holidays took us to the beautiful fishing village of Robin Hood’s Bay just south of Whitby.  As soon as I saw this view I knew we were in for a treat.  The promise of tiny paths and cobbled streets reminded me of our day in Clovelly last year and I knew that at the bottom of the hill I would find a treat or two.

There were several quaint little shops and a very popular used book store.  I waited outside with DD2 along with this fellow whose owners were inside shopping…

One of the wonderful treasures we found in Robin Hood’s Bay was the fish and chip shop.  Honestly these were the best fish and chips I’ve had since May 2008! (Black Country Museum Fish and Chips)

Day 2 took us to Scarborough…now…no pictures to share from that day out as I was too busy shopping!  Take note if you are a quilter and you are in Scarborough then you MUST make a visit to the Sewing Centre.  It was like a candy shop…but full of fabric!  Floor to ceiling of bolts of fabric all organized in colour…and all at £5/metre!  Need I say more?

Day 3 took us up the coast to Seaham.  Seaham is famous for its sea glass as a Victorian glass factory used to pour its waste glass into the sea at the end of the day and now it is being washed up as polished pieces of glass.

The girls had a wonderful time combing through the rocks and finding these little pieces of history.

Day 4 started off a bit with a bit of weather and we weren’t sure whether it was going to be a wash out or not, but before long the sun broke through the clouds and we had another bright day ahead of us.  This time our travels took us to yet another beauty spot, but yet completely different from the seascapes we had seen so far.  On the southern side of the North York Moors lays a 8000 acre forest…the Dalby Forest.

We were treated to a sea of trees much like you’d expect in Canada..minus the black flies! :o)  There are several trails both for walking and cycling.  It is definitely an area I’d like to re-visit.

On our last day we decided to visit the moors.  We had seen such different scenery so far, but felt we really hadn’t seen the moors…strange as we were smack dab in the middle of them.  So we went over to the North Yorkshire Moors Visitor Centre, bought a guide book and went for a beautiful walk.

My time in Yorkshire was far too short as there was as much to see and do as we had already touched on.  It may be awhile before our travels take us up north in that direction, but I know when we do we will be in for a treat as it is some of the best scenery the U.K. has to offer.

Until next time...♥

12 comments:

Clothkitty said...

God's own county. It is glorious there. If you ever head that way again go to Saltburn, Staithes and the pretty seaside village of Runswick Bay all further up the coast from Robin Hoods Bay.

Saithes is a planned seaside resort full of Italianate architechture and fabulaor Victorian villas. It has a great little pier and a cliff lift and some fabulous cafes

Clothkitty said...

Not saithes, I meant Saltburn, sorry

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful country and beautiful photos as always. I haven't been to Robin Hood's Bay but I had heard about the fish and chips. Everywhere you went looks so pretty. One day when we are pet free we will venture up that way.

Lorette Cole said...

So very pretty! Lovely sea glass too!

YankeeQuilter said...

I only got a couple of days in Yorkshire when I was in the U.K. Definitely on my list for my next visit!

Ali Honey said...

I really enjoyed seeing where you went. Thanks.

Leanne said...

As always your photos actually take me there.

anne bebbington said...

Clothkitty is so right - God's own county - I grew up in the Yorkshire Dales and the earliest holiday I can remember was a week in one of the cottages down that hill in Robins Hood Bay - my parents had no car so my uncle dropped us off one Saturday and collected us the next - I was 7 and my sister 4 and we spent the entire week in RHB except one day out to Whitby on the bus - idyllic. Years later I was to visit Seaham many times as my previous partner's parents lived there but sadly I was unaware of the place's connection with Sea Glass - you can bet I would've spent far more time down on the beach had I known. We are heading up to Yorkshire to stay in a farm cottage a good bit farther inland near Skipton at half term - your lovely photos have whetted my appetite

Rose Marie said...

Thank you .... it was a delightful tour.

Chookyblue...... said...

thanks for sharing all the pic........

Thimbleanna said...

I would love to spend more time in Yorkshire -- we only had 1/2 day in one of our trips. I was particularly struck by the moors. As always Jane, I just LOVE your photos!

Sarah said...

Great photos, I feel like I was there! My parents visited the Yorkshire moors a few years ago (we're Australian) and made a point of eating fish and chips on the beach and visiting Whitby. They had to do just as they do in Heartbeat!