Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Autumnal Gardening…

The British love to talk about the weather… and I’m afraid I’m no different. :o)  We’ve had such a quick start to Autumn in that we literally had a Thursday that was summery and balmy and the next day it was COLD.  I sometimes think that there is a man in a booth somewhere with a switch who decides when we get summer and when we have had enough.  Luckily I was quick of the mark this year and bought my winter pansies on that last warm day and DD1 helped plant them into baskets.

So autumn begins…with harvests and the leaves changing.  The nights drawing in and the weather cooler.  I’m sad to see the summer go as it has been such a brilliant one, but then on the other hand I’m looking forward to hot chocolate, homemade bread with stews and soups.  Quilting without getting too hot :o) and spending time with my sewing machine.  I just don’t feel I can do that when it is nice outside. 

Until next time...♥

8 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful pansies Jane! It is harder to do quilty things when it's so beautiful outside, isn't it? I'm looking forward to fall and winter too.

Jackie said...

I love the talk of cooler weather! Here in Florida, it's still quite some time away. Pansies are a winter flower here!

Leanne said...

As you look forward to winter, I am wishing summer to arrive. Bring on those lovely long hot days.

Elizabeth said...

Autumn with it's crisp mornings and blue skies can be pretty. I had forgotten about pansies, I will get some when I go to get the Hyacinth bulbs as I saw them in the garden centre at the weekend.

Tanya said...

Lovely pictures, lovely daughter. It has turned cold here so quickly too!

Karen said...

Beautiful post. The summer is drawing to a close here, as well.

Linda Mullen said...

Being a Canuck what you are experiencing there is mere Tshirt weather LOL. I guess you have gotten used to the rather balmy weather in the UK after all these years my dear. Cold is -30C to -50C heheheh at night right now we are getting anywhere between 2C to 12C..

Sarah said...

Australians are no different. Possibly that's because I live in a rural community and farming is so dependant on the weather? A common greeting is "how much rain did ya have?" Our Spring/Summer tends to set in how you described winter. It is being a bit tardy this year, but usually it's like suddenly the rain stops and the wind becomes warm and drying, and this hangs around for about 6 months.