Friday, August 09, 2013

Festival of Quilts 2013

I'm home and recovering from a wonderful day at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham.  It was a great day enjoyed with Lynda and DD1.  I know people get worried about showing quilts from the shows, but I hope I won’t offend anyone by showing some of the little details that really caught my eye.  …Hopefully by not showing the entire quilt I won’t get into trouble! :o)  


I really enjoyed seeing the traditional quilts and the high level of skill in each piece.  There were more quilts with hand quilting than I recall from the past and it was a delight to see so much handwork.



Those quilts that had machine work or long-arm work were sympathetic to the design of the overall quilts.  I was glad to see less all over long arming which was in favour a few years ago and more creative use of space and shape.

"Stardust" pieced by Helen Brookham quilted by Sandy Chandler
(Received highly commended and judges choice awards)
"Grace" quilted by Sandy Chandler
(Received second place award)
The only negative I could see is that it seemed like there were less quilts on display than in the past and the second hall seem under used.  I was disappointed to see the children's quilts off in a corner on their own at the back of the second hall...  In my opinion they should have been in the main hall with the rest.  Minor observations for an otherwise fabulous day!


And speaking of fabulous… One last highlight of the day... I met Tula Pink.  In fact I did the whole celebrity thing and startled her as I jumped in front of her path as she walked by in the crowd..  I never thought of myself as someone that would do that, but before my brain engaged there I was shouting, “It’s YOU, Tula Pink!!”  LOL  She was very sweet and took the time to chat and I got the mandatory picture as proof.


I'm so glad I went...it had been a last minute decision to go but as it has been 4 years since I last attended the show for one reason or another I was overdue to visit.  Hopefully, I won't leave it another 4 years before I visit again.  :o)

Until next time...♥

8 comments:

audrey said...

How fun for you to recognize a big name quilter and get to say hi! Thanks for sharing some pics.:)

Shirley said...

You have shown details of my favourites Jane and i am so sorry that the time ran away with me to meet up with you. I was on the look out for your infamous bag but did not spot even a tiny glimpse of it. Better luck next time. How exciting to meet Tula Pink too. Missed that one also.

Kate North said...

I haven't been in years, either, Jane. Maybe I'll go next year - if so, perhaps we can try to go the same day and meet up :)

Karendianne said...

Thank you for sharing the beauty. You know, I have to say, your excellent photography really is a treat here.

Lynda said...

It was a lovely day, and thanks to both of you for sharing it with me.

Sarah Jayne said...

I missed you.... Sounds like you had a fun time.

Sue-Anne said...

Thanks for the show and tell, sounds like a great quilt show.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- thanks for sharing your pictures Jane. I'm particularly interested in the little star quilt -- that's an interesting setting that I haven't seen before. Looks like it was a great quilt show!