Monday, July 01, 2013

Fun with Terry’s Fabrics…

Last week I was busy sewing and playing with rather delicious fabric I found on Terry’s Fabrics.  My mind was spinning with lots of wonderful ideas, but it didn’t take long to settle to a couple of projects.

When I saw this campervan fabric on their site I knew exactly what I wanted to make.  All I needed was a couple of matching fabrics (pink gingham and dotty grey) and a rather clever pattern or two and I was off to the races.

The first pattern to be cut and sewn was the lovely Super Tote Pattern by Noodlehead.  The slightly heavier weight of the 100% cotton fabric was perfect for the task and I used a light woven interfacing on the exterior pieces just to help the bag keep it’s shape.  The pink gingham was a lighter 100% cotton and perfect for the lining.

Being me, though, I couldn’t leave the pattern alone and added an extra feature on the front.  The original pattern has a hook and loop fastener on the front pocket, but I opted to put in a concealed zipped pocket.  It didn’t take long and I’m thrilled with the extra gingham detailing that covers the zip.

This bag will be perfect for the holidays and carrying all the gear down to the beach in style.  :o)

The recessed zipped closure was really easy to install and a feature I wouldn’t mind adding to other totes in the future.

I added stitching on the pleat as instructed in the pattern and added some flat pockets on one side of the interior for extra storage.

 

After completing the bag I had just enough grey and pink to make another divider basket.  My daughter’s room is pink and grey and this will be a perfect match in her room.

 

I’m thrilled with the fabric I got at Terry’s Fabrics  and had a blast creating these two very useful bags.

Oh and one last thing!

Happy Canada Day

 

to my fellow Canadians!!

Until next time...♥

15 comments:

Terry said...

Great fabric! I love both bags! :0)

Timi said...

WOW!!! These bags are fantastic!!! They look great!!!

Ann J said...

Love the tote bag & the fabric is great! My DD would love something made out of that for their VW camper - shame Terry's don't ship outside the UK !

Luv....AJ

Shirley said...

Love, love, LOVE it and know someone in this family who would love it too. You are definitely going to be noticed carrying that bag around and the perfect combination for your daughters bedroom . Happy Canada Day to you.

The Cozy Quilter said...

You have been busy! I would keep your eye on that bag lest it is claimed by one of your daughters! Happy Canada Day to you too!

Thimbleanna said...

Those are ADORABLE! I especially love that "beach" bag. That camper van fabric is just tooooo cute. And Happy Canada Day to YOU!

Ali said...

Gorgeos bag and basket. Those campervans are so cute and the gingham goes beautifully.

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

A perfect Super Tote! Happy Canada Day to you too - all I managed was to wear red and white!!

Leanne said...

2 REALLY cute projects and you have to love the camper van fabric.

Michele Pacey said...

That camper bag will be SO nice for the summer. I love that you added your own touch to the zipper. Great stuff!

Happy Canada Day to you as well!!!

Lynda said...

I envy your ability with zips. They really make a bag secure. Great job all round.

Quilt Hollow said...

Great bag! Love that VW fabric!!

Katherine said...

Wonderful! Such pretty fabric combined with great patterns, Jane. Love both finishes!

Hope you had a lovely Canada Day!

sewkalico said...

Excellent bag made with stunning fabrics!!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Oh, I looove your bag and the basket! Fabric is of course the most cute but also your design is fantastic! I so need new bag but also here it's too hot to sew. Fan is blowing and air condition working all the day. I hope you don't mind if I pin this bag because it's really special. x Teje