Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Round and Round we go…

This tiny log cabin measures only 2 1/2" wide and was so easy to sew thanks to foundation paper piecing.  Paper piecing is the very first thing I did in patchwork and the only class I’ve ever taken back in Thunder Bay, ON in 1994.  Little did I know what I was getting into!  A friend of mine had taken the class and showed me a little sampler with houses and I thought it would be a great way to use up my dressmaking scraps.

The tutor wasn’t overly impressed with my scraps of cotton, but I didn’t have the resources to buy yardage, so scraps it was going to be. (At least I brought cotton!) I had my grandmother’s old Kenmore machine and followed along in my own way.  In the class we made paper-pieced stars, but the instructor never told us how to completed the project and I went home with my handful of stars and put them together as best I could…with 5/8” seams!  I was a dressmaker first after all!  It didn’t occurred to me that I shouldn’t lose the points.  It would be another year or two before I’d try patchwork again, this time with the help of Simply Quilts and Quilt in a Day.  I was still using dressmaking scraps then and have a couple quilts with odd fabric to show for it, but they are favourites because they show my humble beginnings into a craft that has become a passion.

I’ve kinda gone off track…you might be wondering what on earth I’m going to use those log cabins for and it is this…a Roosting Round Robin. (like a round robin, but you work on your own project throughout)  There are a few of us participating and you can see Lynda’s version here.)  It’s the throw of a dice that determines the theme for the next month.  First it was house, then log cabin…I wonder what will be next… ???

Until next time...♥

8 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

This is such a nice post, Jane. I love hearing how you got into quilting.

Lesley said...

Love hearing about your start with quilting. Your project is so sweet...a great idea for a round robin!

LesQuilts said...

That's funny! Aren't teachers interesting. At least you paid to take the course...
What is even funnier for me, I used to live in Thunder Bay before 1985 and travel there all the time during 1994!
This will be great!
Take care, Leslie

Amanda said...

I love the description of a 'roosting' round robin, absolutely perfect. You made me laugh when you wrote about using 5/8th inch seams on your first quilt, you must have been wondering what all the quilting fuss was about if it didn't work out, and your quilt must have made up so small.

Thimbleanna said...

What a fun history Jane! Your little log cabins are very cute -- looks like an exciting project!

Shirley said...

Interesting to hear how you got into this wonderful world of patchwork. It is a wonder you weren't put off for life. You were obviously meant to do patchwork because you worked it out. Lovely post Jane.

Sue-Anne said...

A great story about your beginnings in patchwork. I love the idea of the round robin, it is going to be interesting to see how all the quilts turn out.

Jackie said...

I enjoyed hearing about your first class and quilting experiences!