Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Quilts, Quilts and more Quilts…

In an effort to chase away the January blues, I got on with a flurry of sewing over the winter months. I wanted take stock of my UFO’s and keep what I love and repurpose the rest.  Many became Linus quilts and one will find it’s way to be a colourful accent in my daughter’s dorm.  Along with some other recent sewing, it has resulted in 8 quilts for Project Linus.  Two have already been donated and these are some of the remaining ones all piled up waiting to be properly photographed then given to Lynda.

I’m thrilled with the results and I really enjoyed the journey as I stitched each quilt together.  I played with different patterns and I had fun trying out different quilting ideas which I’ll show you soon…they deserve a post all of their own. :o)

When the first 7 quilts were completed I saved all the extra wadding from the sides and kept all the trimmings.  From that I had enough wadding to piece together to be used in an 8th quilt which will finish about 30” x 40”.  Nothing is wasted and everything is used :o)

I have for a long time wanted to try Red Pepper Quilts’ tutorial for butterflies and figured the time was right.  Armed with 24  – 5” pink charm squares and 24 – 5” yellow charm squares I had the fabric for the wings.  12 – 5” charm squares was just right for the green bodies.

The blue background was left over from one of the backings and I had just the right amount to cut the strips needed.  Each block went together with precision and I loved how easy it was to sew together with virtually no fabric waste.  Honestly you have to try her technique…it’s genius!

I plan to add a border…something equally as sweet as the prints..probably a small floral to tie it all together and then get it quilted and finished.

Until next time...♥

13 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

You've been one busy girl Jane! Kudos to you for completing all the Linus quilts. And your butterfly quilt is darling -- I think a little floral border sounds just perfect!

ferne said...

I have made a few things with the butterflies from pot holders to wall hangings. Love this block and your colors are perfect!

Alisa said...

You've been busy! Love the butterflies.

SuperMomNoCape said...

You have certainly been busy. Love the butterfly quilt!

Timi said...

You have made beautiful quilts!!!

Allison Hazel said...

Just stunning quilts :)

Janet said...

how wonderful to have made so many quilts for Project Linus! I love the butterflies - perfect for spring.

Lynda said...

The butterflies are gorgeous! I must try the technique for myself!

Cathi said...

You have been busy! I love the butterflies - that really looks like spring and summer to me!

Kate North said...

Honestly, Jane, I'm going to have to stop reading your blog - every time I do, there's another quilt I want to make! Luckily for me, I have a source who will actually quilt and finish quilts for PL so I only have to make the tops. This butterfly one might just stay at home, though, if I do make one (or knowing me, perhaps I'll make two!). xx K

Quilter Kathy said...

Wowwweeeee...you have been busy!
What a wonderful pile of quilts!

Shirley said...

Well done Jane PL will be thrilled with them and they are going to make some children very happy indeed. Love the butterflies. Great idea.

Carole said...

So cute! You've been a busy bee! Feels great to get things done! Keep well!