Monday, March 11, 2013

Sew Together Bag…

You are going to start thinking this is a pattern review blog, but it isn't...I've just been in the mood for little projects and went on a little pattern buying spree..ok only 2 patterns :o) but for me that’s a lot!

I think I get sucked in by the colours of other people work and I’m always intrigued to see how something is put together.  If I can’t work it out from the picture then it plays on my mind until I give in and pay to find out.  Sad I know, but it’s cheaper than shoes and makeup :o)

So this is the Sew Together Bag.  A rather clever number with 4 zips.  Now before you go running for the hills at the sheer mention of zips, let me tell you that bit was easy.  The construction of all the zips and panels is quite straight forward…it’s making the whole thing 3D that had me scratching my head.  But after a cup of tea and reading the words rather than looking at the diagrams I got it in the end and I’m quite surprised at how professional I managed to get this one to look. 

If/when I make another there are just a couple of changes I would make.  Firstly I’d make the binding a little wider as I found it was just a bit too tight a fit to get around all those layers and secondly I’d use a finer interfacing or even no interfacing for the side panels.  There was quite a bit of thickness to sew through in some of the steps and I think that might make it easier for my poor old machine :o)

The construction is quite clever and I love the finish result, but I think the pattern lacked in pictures… I’m not being harsh, it’s just my observation. 

Until next time...♥

16 comments:

Janet said...

Such a cute liitle bag! My curiousity gets the best of me - what do you plan to use it for??

imquilternity said...

I love yours... you did a great job! I'm a little intrigued by the pattern now too.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Interesting bag! My DD would love all the zippers. LOL

Canadian Abroad said...

Very cool looking pouch!

Leah said...

Lovely bag, and wonderful craftsmanship. I do the same as you in regards to patterns. This may be one I may have to shell out some cash for. :)

Rosa said...

It`s super cute.I love it!

Kate North said...

Cute - and nice fabric :) http://katesquilting.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/brown-and-blue-with-cats.html

Thimbleanna said...

Looks like a fun project Jane, and your version is super cute. What are you going to use it for?

Cathi said...

That is a fabulous little bag! You are very brave -- all those zippers would give me fits!

Lynda said...

The bag looks lovely (and very useful!). I'm with you on the subject of diagrams on patterns - you can never have too many!

merrily row said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Even if this is not a "pattern review blog", I appreciate your review which makes me think I can do it myself and for that I thank you.

Katherine said...

Mmmm... this is a lovely bag, Jane. Love the design and the fabrics you chose. I bet it will be so handy to have - with all those compartments to keep everything organized. Love it!

Amanda said...

I bought this pattern months ago and haven't had a chance to make it yet, but I want to very soon! Yours looks fantastic!

Kim said...

I like this bag. There are times when we simply must create, or recreate to satisfy our curiosity. Good job!

nerospost said...

This is so beautiful and great organizer! I love also your fabrics! I like to follow photo tutorials. If the pattern is mostly written I skip. x Teje

Tanya said...

Fantastic bag!!! And the fabrics!!! OHH! Cats and meows and whatnot! You have me aching to make one!