Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sew Red…

Have you seen this book, Sew Red? A few weeks ago I was asked if I'd like my very own copy of Sew Red. I didn't know much about it, but as anything with sewing takes my fancy I agreed to have a look and share a little review with you. 

Within a few short days the book arrived in the UK and I was quick to the kettle to brew a cup of tea and have a read.  What immediately struck me is that is book was much more than a book of patterns, but a book highlighting the importance of health as each designer not only shared a pattern, but also shared top tips for keeping oneself healthy.  There are 6 pages of healthy recipes at the back with nutritional information including main meals, sides and desserts.  I really like the look of the Apple Coffee Cake :o)  Yummy!

There are many interesting projects..some are home decorating projects and others are for clothing which have full sized pattern sheets in the back of the book, but the ones that took my interest are the quilting ones.  I love this sweet quilt by Sweetwater and the very sage advice as her top tip!  I have to agree whole heartedly ;o) that taking a break from the computer and the sewing machine and going for a walk is a great suggestion.  My DH works from home and we often take 20 minutes at lunch to have a break and go for a walk.  It’s really nice to do that and have a chance to chat without the kids interrupting…and it’s a bit of exercise too :o)

The other lovely quilt that grabbed my attention is this lovely heart quilt by TulaPink.  I love the reds, teals and blues together…what a wonderful mix of colours.

Finally, this is the project that must be first on my list.  It continues on my theme of small projects and really floats my boat.  Of course, I’d fill it will sewing notions…not jewellery :o)

The book is part of a greater initiative called Stitch Red which is a campaign to raise the awareness of heart disease in women. You might recall Knit Red from last year being the first book released for the initiative.

Jimmy Beans Wool has agreed to contribute a minimum of 5% of their gross profits from the sale of this Stitch Red product to the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health in support of The Heart Truth® and women's heart health education and research.  For those of you in the UK…the book is also available from Amazon.

Until next time...♥

4 comments:

Connie said...

Looks like it's a great book.

Thimbleanna said...

Looks like a good book Jane. As always, I love anything Sweetwater LOL!

Needled Mom said...

It looks like a wonderful book with fun ideas.

karen barclay said...

That looks like a must have book. thought I would share a quilt that I gave as a birthday present today. http://www.karenbarclay.com/everything-else/happy-birthday-quilt/
Love your blog by the way.
Karen