Thursday, March 21, 2013

Feathers…

I was taught that you should always give credit where credit is due…so to that end I like to blame thank Liz for inspiring me to try my hand at free-motion quilted feathers.  After months of doodling feathers on every envelope and newspaper that came through the house I finally plucked up the courage and didn't chicken out as I went from paper to fabric.

This quilt is one I have finished for Project Linus which was made up from some pre-cut scraps found at the bottom of a bag.

I’m as proud as a peacock for my free-formed feathers that I did across each braid.  I started with a drawn vein and then looped up one side and down the other to create the open feathers.  I wanted the quilt to still have quite a bit of loft as it will be for a child and I wanted it to be nice and cosy.

After each column my confidence grew and before long I had completed the quilting…but I still had the urge to feather…what else could I tackle next?

It wasn’t long before I found my next victim project…the border of yet another quilt for Linus.  This time I stitched the vein and looped along one side and then came back to stitch the other side.  One side was very easy to stitch where as the other didn’t come as naturally.  I guess that must be a left brain / right brain thing…  There are lots of variations for feathers… I quite like Tanya’s feathers on her Fiery Starr quilt and Michele’s Mario vines….I think more practice is needed… stay tuned! :o)

Until next time...♥

14 comments:

Domestic Moose said...

The feathers look great. I'm gradually building my FMQ confidence and that is so inspiring. Also? Love the braid quilt.

Terry said...

Your feathers are fabulous! I've not been brave enough to try them yet.

LynCC said...

You go!!! I'm ***almost*** ready to break through and start working on them, too, but still waiting for that final moment. Yours look good!

Ann J said...

Great job Jane ! Be careful though as they are addictive - don't ask how I know :-) Nice quilt!

luv...Ann

Liz said...

I don't know wether to congratulate you on some fab feathers or hide under a stone.
Welcome to the club.

Kate North said...

I think this is true of everyone who does feathers - even those who do them a lot - that one side comes more easily than the other. If you are going freeform and not trying to space them evenly or shape the all the same, it doesn't matter so much... Yours look nice - really suit the braid quilt, too.

Michele Pacey said...

These are perfect projects (or... victims) on which to practice FMQ. Those feathers really look great Jane! Good for you for taking the plunge. Soon it will be my turn... eep!

Sharon said...

Good job on your feathers. They look lovely. I am still working on my confidence and hope to make the transition from pencil to thread soon too.

Thimbleanna said...

VERY impressive Jane - they're beautiful. I have yet to try feathers - thanks for the inspiration!

Mimi said...

I think they look great.

webmistress said...

The feathers look fabulous, and will not be appreciated at all by the (lucky) recipients of the quilts!

Tanya said...

I love your braided quilt and your free motion quilting is wonderful! You look like a pro!

Katie said...

Woohoo. Fabulous! Feathers are the best! :-)

pinewood said...

Awesome feathers, these are one of my favourite quilting designs too. So versatile.