Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Floral Applique…

A quick search back through my blog (and this is why I keep a blog) and I have determined that these next blocks were started in early 2010!  Really?!  Three years ago!!  Pardon me while I recover, but I honestly didn’t think it had been that long…


Anyway 3 years is tooo long and it was time that something happened to these appliquéd blocks.  I made them to teach myself a different type of needle-turn appliqué using a wash-away stabiliser on the underside.  It is a method by Sharon Schamber and you can see the technique in the following video:




I used all kinds of scraps along the way and didn’t really stop to think of the end product.  So ended up with 12 appliquéd blocks which would have made a single quilt, but do I need another one of those?


Well, no…not really.  So I split them into 3 groups of 4 and put some cheery borders on them and will complete them for Project Linus.


I’m not sure that making 3 quilts out of 1 quilt is progress, but it does put these pretty block to use and I’m sure will be a “hug” for someone in need.


As for the appliqué technique, would I use it again?  Well probably not, but it did teach me how to needle turn and to become aware of how the fabric tucks under to get smooth edges and pointy points.


Now I just have to work out how to quilt them!?  Any ideas?


Until next time...♥

9 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I am glad to see I am not the only one with UFO's that old! Good for you for getting those blocks made into quilts for Project Linus. They are beautiful blocks!

Ellyn said...

some folks will be very lucky to receive those pretty quilts!

Thimbleanna said...

Very pretty Jane! It's so nice of you to decide to donate them to Project Linus -- you're a sweetheart!

LynCC said...

Hey, I think it's triple progress! ;D

And 2010 was not three years ago. No way is that possible. And I have to chuckle at Cozy Quilter being happy someone else has a a UFO "that old" - as many of us have UFOs from the 90s still! hehe (well, actually, some of my followers have some that are even more "mature". :D

Janet said...

You have the blocks out and you're working on them - sounds like progress to me! The blocks are so cheerful and sunny - I think they'll be great for Project Linus.

Lynda said...

Three year old UFOs? I'm currently working with a UFO from 2005 (to my shame!) but it's not half as nice as yours! Love the frames, they make a gorgeous effect in the centres.

Lynn Koeppen said...

I can understand your need for progress. I laughed when you wondered about making 3 quilts out of one being progress.

They are beautiful and it is so generous to donate them to Project Linus!

Karen said...

Beautiful work, Jane. It might not be progress in your crafting life, but I'm sure it'll make someone very happy!

em's scrapbag said...

Figuring out how to quilt something always throws me for a loop. So I'm no help. Love the yellow border BTW