Saturday, January 26, 2013

Christmas Presents…

It is long over due, but here are some of the handmade items that were under the tree last month...

First up were two projects that I started the week before my daughter was coming home from Uni.  I had had all term to make this, why did I start it the week before she came home!!?  I guess I like to work under pressure…nuts or what?!

Of course, having 2 daughters means that what you make for one you make for the other…so not only did I give myself a week to make gifts, but I was making 2 of them.  Raiding the stash for the perfect fabric was in order as there was no time for a trip to the LQS.  Luckily for me I had just the right fabrics, zips and wadding for the job ahead.

I seamed and pieced the panels together to make up the required sizes and when I was checking my intersections look what I saw!  Not only did my pieces match, but there was a little magic going on with the tree.  Do you see how the tree goes from the pink to blue fabric?  I couldn’t have matched that if I had tried…neat when funny things like this happen on their own.

So what was a making? Duffle Bags :o)

I had seen a Simplicity pattern review on In Color Order last year and decided it was the perfect project for my girls.  (That’s how long I’ve been waiting to make these!!)The jute handles were the biggest challenge as the jute in this country is narrower than the 3 3/4” required by the pattern.  So I ended up buying 2” wide webbing and zigged-zagged side by side together which worked perfectly.

I opted to bind the inside seams to cover the raw edges.  It worked really well and it meant I could stick to the pattern and not have to think too hard. :o)  If I was to make another, I might think of a different method, but with only days to make these two bags I didn’t have time for math!

The pink one was for my youngest and the batik one below was for the eldest… Won’t she be the cool kid at Uni with that on her shoulder :o)

I also made a little dumpling bag for my mom.  It was well received and was pressed into use immediately :o)

Everyone was thrilled with their gifts and they were all done in time for the big day…but will someone remind me in future to start earlier next time!! :o)

Until next time...♥

16 comments:

Supergoof said...

I *L*O*V*E* the gifts you made for your daughters,...
:o)

Liz said...

Perhaps friday mornings from October onwards ahould be sit and sew for christmas. Put it in your diary now.We can take it in turns to host it or it could be another online group or both. Lovely bags btw.

Lynda said...

They are gorgeous, but not what I understand as 'duffle bags' - they're much nicer!

The Cozy Quilter said...

You did very well getting those gifts done at the last minute! I always have good intentions to start early when making gifts...sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't. Great bags!

Ellyn said...

all darling bags! Love your magical tree! you're right, you couldn't have planned that if you tried!

Frances Arnold said...

I would say to start now, but know that if I said that to myself, I would simply laugh!! Great bags. I can see my daughter and D-I-L enjoying them as well!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Gorgeous bags! I especially love the little stitchery bag!

Chookyblue...... said...

great bags.........you did very well.......

Katie said...

LOL I'll remind you if you remind me!

Love the bags. :-)

Shirley said...

Wow Jane, you never cease to amaze me with your creativity and the speed with which you achieve it. What lucky girls (mum included).

Lynn Koeppen said...

Those bags are adorable!

Sarah said...

Hey, I leave things til as late as possible too. Must be a personality trait? I've always done it, and everything has always got done, but why do I do it to myself? The bags are stunning! I wouldn't leave something that complicated til the last minute, because I know I'd do something wrong and have to remake part! Very clever sewing.

Thimbleanna said...

BEAUTIFUL Jane! Those duffles are adorable -- I'll bet the girls loved them. And the little dumpling is just too cute too -- I have one that I keep my little scissors, needle and thread in and I love it!

Jane in Wales said...

Beautiful bags! You better watch out - all her fellow students will want one.....;o)

Leanne said...

Your bags are fantastic. Nothing like a bit of pressure to help make the job worth while.

Michele Pacey said...

Oh they must be chuffed with their gifts. That last little dumpling bag is super-cute with the little embroidery. SO pretty!