Sunday, January 20, 2013

Big Quilting…

The title sums it up well for my current hand quilting project as the quilt is massive!  In fact this is my oldest UFO and back in 2011 I talked about finishing this quilt…(pop over to Sew Quilt for a trip down memory lane). 

It was started in 1999 and the top was completed in 2001, but it was so big I couldn’t seem to get it basted and quilted…that is until now.

Last month I was telling a Liz about my dilemma and she kindly offered to get it up on her long arm and get some basic lines of quilting and basting done so that I could then take it and big stitch the remaining areas.

All over the Christmas period, while watching cheesy movies I sat and stitched!  It was bliss.  The machine quilting was perfect in that it stabilized the whole thing, while at the same time was sympathetic to the amount of hand work in the quilt.  Liz stitched in the ditch and followed the natural shapes created by the landscapes so even though it is machine quilted, you can’t tell unless you look carefully.

I treated myself to some new Perle threads (size 8) off Ebay so I’d have a wonderful selection to choose from as I quilted each area.  It has been such fun to work on and finally see this quilt in the final stages.  I’m over 1/2 way through and feel quite encouraged to keep working on it until it is finished….I think 2013 might be its lucky year!

Until next time...♥

10 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Those photos are just a tease...I am looking forward to seeing your finished project. The threads are yummy!

Liz said...

Those thread colours look good enough to eat. X

LynCC said...

How exciting to have such a wonderful, seasoned UFO coming up on a finish. :) I think there's something special about the very long-term projects, even if our tastes have changed dramatically since when we started them. I'm saving my oldest UFO for the very last as I work through my list. Curious to see what the span of years turns out to be for it!

Gertie Pye said...

This quilt is going to be a corker! I love the box of perle cottons, what a Christmas treat! I can't wait to see the finished quilt in all its glory...

anne bebbington said...

Those perle threads are delicious - gorgeous colours playing together :)

webmistress said...

Your threads are delectable enough, and I've seen the quilt, which is fabulous!

Leanne said...

Good luck with that. Love seeing all those beautiful perle 8 threads.

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, fun! Your sneaky peek photos just make me want to see more. Love those pretty perl cottons!

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds wonderful! Love each and every photo on this post...enjoy your thread and your stitching!

Quilt Guru said...

I have one of those! I'm one of Jane's originals from Canada that started the 1998 Piecemakers' quilt at the same time with her (Jane's is the 1999 Piecemakers). I still haven't quite finished the applique top and I haven't looked at it in years. I'm envious of your time working on the project. I remember when I started mine, I had big plans to add to it. Right now, I would be happy just to get the applique completed. Then again, I have a couple of UFO's that are even older than that!