Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Trio Completed…

I'm really excited to share with you 3 quilts that got completed this week for Project Linus.

Back in July I buckled down to try and empty the crumb box that was overflowing with scraps and made 154 scrappy 4 1/2” blocks. At the time I was happy to store them as blocks as that seemed easier on my conscience than having a bin full of scraps.

Then in November inspiration struck and I decided to make Granny Squares using the crumb blocks. 

The result was 3 quilts measuring 54” square…perfect for Project Linus.

When I told my friend Liz about the quilts she offered to quilt them on her long-arm.  I love this blue and pink one. (which for some reason makes me think of Pepto-Bismol) Liz quilted feathers all over it which are stunning.  As Liz put it she “feathered the do-das out of it.”

Next was the yellow and red one that you saw back in November.  This time Liz opted to try dwirling…I like it and it works really well on these quilts.

In each quilt I kept the blocks uniformed in that the centres were all the same as were round 2 and 3.  I used the same solid-like fabric for the backgrounds giving consistency and a place for the eye to rest.

I worked out mathematically that I had enough blocks to make 2 quilts where all the blocks were the same.  But realized that for a 3rd quilt that I only had enough to make 5 of one kind and 4 of another.

So the last one has almost a 9 patch effect for its nine blocks.

Seeing them all stacked up and ready to hand over to Lynda really is a nice feeling and  I couldn’t have completed them so quickly without Liz’s help so thanks Liz!!

I’m sure they will be well received and enjoyed by someone that really needs a hug.

Until next time...♥

29 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

Amazing quilts, Jane. I love the red and yellow one with the little pops of blue. And the final photo is perfect!

Ruth said...

Great idea for donation quilts! Three recipients will be able to cuddle a lot with them.

Janet said...

What wonderful quilts made out of scraps and crumbs!! The quilting is gorgeous - love the feathers! What lovely gifts.

Liz said...

Thank you for the fab photo's. I quilted the hexagon quilt yesterday. Hubby looked at it without comment for too long, then said, "There is something wrong with this quilt. Where are the feathers?" Ha Ha

Lynn Koeppen said...

Good for you! What a great gesture to help others!

Quilter Kathy said...

Absolutely stunning quilts made from scraps...great job Jane!

happy zombie said...

SO beautiful, Jane! I love how they're scrappy and simple - and yet so stunning and full of love and effort! PERFECT project linus quilts!

Ellyn said...

what a wonderful gift to project Linus! i love how you used your crumb blocks

sewkalico said...

They look fabulous!!! Well done both of you!

katelnorth said...

They all look great - and I bet you feel good about all those tiny scraps gone :)

The Cozy Quilter said...

a generous and creative way to use your crumbs! Now they will bring a smile to someone who needs a little love! Wonderful!

Thimbleanna said...

WOW! They're gorgeous Jane. I love how the quilting just brought them to life too!

webmistress said...

They are so lovely, and will be well loved! And the bonus is your empty scrap bin!

Shirley said...

Well done Jane. They look super and I am sure they will be well loved.

Leanne said...

Wonderful quilts Jane I am sure they will be LOVED.

Hilary Shaw said...

Well done Jane (and Liz!!) beautiful quilts!!! Is your scrap bin empty or do your scraps breed in the dark like mine????

Michele Pacey said...

you are very generous with your pretty granny quilts. I think the last one is my fave out of these because of the colour mix. I must try the granny block one day on a super-scrappy quilt. it looks easy and fun!

Katie said...

They are all lovely but the pink one really catches my eye. :-)

Alisa said...

They are beautiful!

Stina Blomgren said...

All of them very beautiful.... Especially love the blue and pik one...:0)))
kviltstina at gmail dot com

Sheila said...

I love scrappy quilts. These are awesome. How large are the individual little crumb squares in the granny blocks?

Brown Dirt Cottage said...

Your quilts are just w-a-y too cute!!

Scraps are our friend!

Sarah said...

These are wonderful and all made with scraps!!!!

Edith said...

I'm addicted to mile a minute quilts (and have a tutorial on my blog) I absolutely love your lay out and beautiful photos.

Stella Nemeth said...

Those aren't just quilts. Those are beautiful quilts. I think I'm going to find a way to hand onto my crumbs because this is a great idea.

Stitched With Prayer said...

Oh my gosh, they are all wonderful! Bless your heart for sharing these "Forever Hugs" with those who so badly need hugs in their lives...not to mentions something of their very own and something to stay warm and loved in. God Bless and keep...

Sandra B said...

Your crumb quilts are beautiful! Mine are all hodge podges of colour, but I like your sticking with one colour per block. Isn't it wonderful to make something so beautiful and useful out of the scraps that lots of people would just throw away.

Connie said...

What a perfect way to use crumb blocks, beautiful quilts!

Elly D said...

These are the most beautiful crumb quilts that I've ever seen! So very inspiring.