Tuesday, November 20, 2012

No Longer a Mystery…

March 2009 does really seem that long ago, but that’s when I, with a friend, ran a Mystery Quilt Day at my local quilt group.  We ran it where each person brought so many strips and so many HST and then on the day there were told how to put them together.  To increase the mystery further the instructions were only for 1/4 of the quilt and to get the full effect one had to sew all 4 quarters together.  Since then I have seen several of the quilts turn up at exhibitions and show and tells, but never had I finished my own…that is until now.

In each of the 4 corners there was an empty space which could be used for quilting, applique or as I did on my quilt, a bit of stitchery.

I opted for meandering quilting through all the white spaces, but didn’t stitch over the stitchery.  Instead I let it puff up and act as a feature.

It turned out better than I hoped and is a nice lap sized quilt which will be going to Project Linus.

Until next time...♥

11 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

your mystery quilt is lovely! I like the embroidery in the blank sections. It is fun to see how each person's fabric choice changes the quilt's personality!

Gertie Pye said...

This is just lovely Jane! The hand sewing makes it extra special x

Ann Marie said...

The color choices and embellishments make the finished quilts look so different. I'm glad you linked to them. Congratulations on your finish.

Jane said...

What a beautiful quilt! You are a generous soul indeed to be giving it away!

Needled Mom said...

Very nice! I like the stitching in the quiet areas.

Susan Standen said...

Love the addition of the hand stitching.

Lynda said...

I can't believe it's taken you so long to finish this! However, it was worth the wait, as it's fabulous!

Shirley said...

Great idea for a group to share. I may have to pick your brains as to how you do it. The quilt looks lovely.

Thimbleanna said...

Very pretty Jane -- Congratulations on another great finish!

Gale, Ky quilter said...

That quilt is gorgeous! I love it!

Michele Pacey said...

The mystery quit is so pretty especially with the corner stitching. You'll be making someone's day when they receive this! Beautiful!