Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Move over Granny…

Anyone who knows me well, knows I love a quilting challenge.  I especially love getting a bunch of orphan blocks and trying to work out how to use them in a quilt.  Often these quilts are for Project Linus and often I have to think outside the box to make a pretty and usable quilt.  You might remember these two quilts HERE and HERE where I had to think of creative settings to use up the blocks. 

So you can imagine that when I made 154 crumb blocks I really had to get my thinking cap on as to how I could use those blocks creatively.

As I loved making the Granny Square Quilt back in July, my mind began to think..what would happen if I used crumb blocks instead of squares?  hmmmm well yes, I think that would work quite well!

As the blocks finish at 4” I had to do a little math to work out the set-in triangles.  I also decided to keep the colours the same for the centres and each of the rounds.  As there is enough busyness going on in the individual blocks I didn’t want it to look to messy.  The neutral and same fabric background also gives the eye a place to rest.

Quite conveniently the finished block measures 17” finished.  Nine blocks together with a bit of sashing makes for a very respectable 54” square quilt.  Perfect for Project Linus! 

I have enough blocks to make 2 more quilts, one with a blue background and one with a pink background.

If you are interesting in the Granny Tutorials here are the links:

Granny Square Quilt made famous by Blue Elephant Stitches.

Or the Great Granny Block from Bee in my Bonnet.

Lastly, I had to share this pic I grabbed at the Supermarket with my phone (hence the bad quality!) It’s a patchwork car! 

Until next time...♥

18 comments:

Susan Standen said...

Jane, I absolutely love this quilt! It is so unique and absolutely gorgeous!

Ellyn said...

154 crumb blocks??? WOW! I get bored way faster than that. I love them in the granny setting. Love the patchwork car too! LOL

Carla said...

I think your quilt looks amazing. Well done.You should be so proud

I have to say that Patchwork car is fantastic.

Nanette Merrill said...

Absolutely darling, Jane!!

Sarah said...

I love how you've made use of your crumb blocks - very clever and the quilt looks great! What a cool car!

LynCC said...

Oh, wow! WOW! Very, very, very cool doing grannies out of little log cabin crumb blocks!!

Poppyprint said...

superduper creative!!! I love your quilt and look forward to seeing the other two on different backgrounds as well. I've gotta pass along your URL to a friend with a VW bug - she'll love those skins.

Gramma Rita said...

Beautiful quilt, and I love that patchwork car! :)

Vicki W said...

I love your quilt! What a great layout for crumb blocks.

Liz said...

Very pretty!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Jane -- that's awesome! I love it when two different worlds (er, patterns) collide!

The Cozy Quilter said...

A great use for your crumb blocks! Did you want to just get into that car and drive it home?

Terry said...

What a great way to use up your crumb blocks! Love the car too! :0)

Jane said...

LOVE the quilt!! Also love calling them "crumb blocks".
Never heard that before!
Also, the Patchwork car is just too fun!
Thanks for sharing!
Jane

Stina Blomgren said...

Thumbs up... On both hands...:0)))) l

Shirley said...

Wow, love the patchwork on the car but more importantly LOVE the quilt you have made from your scraps. I am so in awe of you Jane. Just goes to show what can be done with some ingenuity and those pesky bits we throw away. Watch and learn everyone.

Lynda said...

Those granny squares look fabulous together! What a great way to use scraps!

Jolene said...

This is such a great quilt! Thanks for showing it to us!