Thursday, November 15, 2012

Is it a Pillow? or Is it a Quilt?

Back in September 2007 I did a workshop with two friends of mine (Bunty & Andrea) for a Quillow.  For those of you that might not be familiar with the term,  a quillow is a quilt that folds up into a pillow.  Traditionally the quilt is tucked into a panel at the bottom of the quilt, but the one I made folds into the middle and 4 flaps from the front fold around the quilt to create the pillow.

I used blocks that I had on hand at the time which I think came from a quilttalk block lotto I did back in Canada!  So a LONG time ago and way before blogs!

You start with a pocket in the centre which can be used to store a book and some chocolates :o) and the blocks sit around it.  Also sewn in are 4 triangle flaps which have loops of elastic at the tips which secure to the buttons.

I quilted it using a swirly vine.  I wanted to try something outside of my comfort zone and try something other than meandering.  It was a great pattern to stitch, but it did use A LOT of thread.

Here it is all opened up with the flaps secured to the buttons on the side…

…and here it is as a pillow.

The flaps fold over the folded quilt and again the loops of elastic latch onto the buttons and secure the whole thing together :o)

Back in December 2007 I made 2 smaller versions for my niece and nephew.  I used ribbon instead of elastics and buttons which worked very effectively as well.

Until next time...♥

4 comments:

Timi said...

WOW!!! I' ve never seen like this before!!! What a great idea! :o)
Have a beautiful weekend!!!

Thimbleanna said...

Our quillows are different from this kind -- no buttons in ours. Very pretty Jane!

Madame Samm said...

it is both....you always bring me such smiles when I see your excellent photos and stitches..

Shirley said...

A great idea Jane and just goes to show that eventually a use will be found for old projects.