Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sew into Solids – Done!

This is pretty big news...I've finished the top to my Sew into Solids quilt. 7 months ago (ack really that long!?) I started the Sew into Solids challenge with Katherine. Back in June, Katherine finished her quilt (that is top, quilting and binding) while I seem to struggle to keep at it.  The challenge was to use only solid fabrics and I challenged myself even further by only using 3 colours; red, grey and blue. 

Never did I think I would struggle to make the 144 HST blocks or the 68 nine patch blocks, but I did.  I love working with scraps and this solids project was just that little bit too same-y and well, quite frankly, I found it quite boring at times.

But after taking a break from it and truly indulging myself in scrap blocks, I decided the time was right to look no further and get the beast together.

With 12 blocks measuring 15” finished, plus sashing and borders the top measures 65”x83”

I’m glad I did it and I do love the results, but I think it is going to take another big dose of motivation to get it finished. 

I haven’t got a Scoobie-Doo how to quilt it, but for now I’m pleased it’s done and will wait for the next round of basting to get it sandwiched and ready for quilting.

Until next time...♥

17 comments:

Katherine said...

Hooray! I'm celebrating your flimsy finish with you, Jane. It is every bit as gorgeous as I knew it would be. Well done, my friend!

Wish I could pop round for a cuppa and a chance to admire it in person. ;o)

Susan Standen said...

Love this quilt top. Really fresh and appealing.

Sarah said...

Fighting through was worth it - this is a really beautiful quilt top.

Shirley said...

It looks fabulous Jane. Be proud of your achievement and for sticking with it. I am sure you will grow to love it when it is all done and dusted.

Poppyprint said...

Your quilt is beautiful. The colours and blocks are classic.You will love this quilt for a long time!

Lizzie said...

It's lovely Jane, but I do know what you mean about the sameness of some projects!! It will be fabulous when it's quilted..
Lizzie
xxx

The Cozy Quilter said...

Way to go! it is such a sense of accomplishment to finish a project! I understand why this project might have been a bit boring for you but the finished product is lovely!

*karendianne. said...

Super congratulations to you! Way to go. I'm celebrating the endurance in you. This is, by the way, a GREAT quilt!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- Congratulations Jane. It's beautiful. Your piecing looks perfect!!!

Lynn Koeppen said...

Good job! It looks fabulous!

Sharon said...

Good for you for sticking with it! Your quilt top is lovely. I am sure you will think of an equally lovely way to quilt it.

Janet Clare said...

It's gorgeous! You must conjour up some motivation and get it finished.
Like you, I find it hard to use a small range of fabrics and I'm also not keen on making the same block over and over- but those 'traditional' quilts are the ones I actually want on my beds!

Trudi said...

Looks fantastic!

Terry said...

Beautiful! That's one of my favorite patterns! :0)

Lynda said...

It's absolutely gorgeous, and I think you need to give yourself a round of applause at sticking with it!

anne bebbington said...

It looks absolutely super Jane - I've always loved that design and your paler blue lifts if from the usual red white and blue palette - I have a project like that which is two colour - a deep purple and a soft pale grey which I think came from you originally - I started off thinking I'd keep going with it until the fabric ran out and make it a small lap quilt - then one day when I looked at it I realised it matches our bedroom so with a little frogging and rearranging of the block layout it will eventually grow up to be a runner for the end of our bed - sadly the piecing can be so boring that I often bring it out do a bit until I get bored and then put it away again - the construction is probably around 80% done so if I keep chipping away at it I will get there in the end just as you have

Marit said...

Love your "beast", it's a beauty! Some quilts take a bit longer to finish, that's all...

; )