Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sew Happy Update…

Anyone that has been following my blog for more than a year might remember me making 6 1/2” blocks in red and white as I was making my way through the Sew Happy mystery quilt in 2011.  The mystery completed, but I did not complete my quilt.

The blocks have been sitting in a box waiting for inspiration as the original pattern’s layout required the piecing of several 2.5” squares for sashing between the blocks; a process I wasn’t too keen on.

So what to do?  In the end I had 63 blocks from the mystery and around about the same time I found myself with 22 signature blocks from my local group which were red and white log cabins.  Can you guess where this is going?  I got to thinking that perhaps I could find a setting that would encompass the 85 blocks and instead of 2 quilts I could make one.  So this afternoon I sat at the computer, drafted the blocks in EQ and started to have a play.  This is the layout I came up with.  I do like it, but wonder if it will be to busy…what do you think?

Until next time...♥

20 comments:

Andrea said...

I really like it and think it will be beautiful. I never used to like busy quilts but now I do - the more going on the better xxx

Gertie Pye said...

Oh my goodness this looks like a lot of work! I think it will look spectacular when it's all done.

Terry said...

It looks wonderful! And how fabulous it will be to have those two ufo's finished off into one beautiful quilt! :0)

Janet said...

Oh I think it's marvelous!!!

Shirley said...

All that matters is that you like it and what a way to use up all those pretty blocks. I say go for it.

The Cozy Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Cozy Quilter said...

I will try again...auto correct mangled my last comment...

I like your design...we should see the finished project soon as most of the sewing is done already!!

Sheilaf said...

That looks really amazing, I think with it being two colours it will not look too busy. Go fot it. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Thimbleanna said...

It will be busy, but it's beautiful! I love that you're able to combine the two and make just one quilt -- how often does that happen?

Needled Mom said...

Oh pretty!!! That will look wonderful.

Katherine said...

I think it's beautiful, Jane. The two colour palette keeps it from looking busy. Wonderful solution to make a gorgeous finish!

Happy quilting....

Katie said...

Oh Jane, it will be spectacular! Go for it!!

Quilter Kathy said...

I think it will make a stunning sampler quilt!!

Rose Marie said...

If you like Dear Jane style of quilts, then this one will not be busy at all. It will be a great quilt.

Lynda said...

It's absolutely fabulous! Go for it!

Cathi said...

I love it! What a fabulous quilt that will be!

Nanette Merrill said...

Love these! Red of course!!

Liz said...

You know I love red so this is beautiful to me even if you put them together totally randomly although I don't suggest you do that! There are 3 blocks in a row diagionally that look a little darker and I might be tempted to see what swapping the center one of those for something lighter from the center looks like.It could be that in real life they have the same quality or they may be different.Take them on Saturday and lay them out on a brushed cotton sheet and see how they look at a distance. Love it X

Suzie said...

It looks wonderful! What a stunning sampler!

Lynn Koeppen said...

Oh, this looks great! I haven't made a red and white quilt, but think one should be on my to do list!