Saturday, September 08, 2012

Clovelly

Things are pretty busy around here as we prepare for my eldest to venture off to university towards the end of the month.  As a result sewing and more importantly sewing pictures aren't really happening around here. So bare with me and in the meantime I hope you'll enjoy these pictures taken while we were on holiday in Devon in July.

Clovelly is described by Wikipedia as a major tourist attraction famous for its history and its extremely steep car-free cobbled main street. "Extremely Steep" doesn't even begin to do it justice, but perhaps the website does when it warns to wear stout foot wear! We came prepared, but I was amazed at how many people attempted the descent in nothing more than flip-flops...though interestingly enough we didn't see many making the return trip up in flip-flops as I think most opted to pay the £2.50 for the shuttle bus back up to the top.

Our day out to Clovelly was one of the highlights of our holiday. We had bright blue skies with perfect weather. Half way down we stopped at the local tea room and enjoyed a Devonshire cream tea while looking out to sea. Honestly you could have been somewhere much more exotic and not known the difference.

One of the houses was open to the public to view how the average fisherman would have lived back in the 1930’s. Wouldn't you know that the first thing I spied was a quilted cushion with some hand quilting. It looked very inviting.

After a harrowing trip down to the harbour we rewarded ourselves with a pint of local cider and sat on the harbour wall to watch the boats come in. It was incredibly relaxing and almost the calm before the “storm” before our challenging walk back up to the top.  About 3/4 of the way up I wished I hadn't been so stubborn and had paid the money for the easy way out, though I did make it and I know my Scottish ancestors would be proud of my thriftiness :o)

Until next time...♥

16 comments:

Terry said...

Wow! What beautiful places you visit! I love the photo of the gull! :0)

Needled Mom said...

That looks fascinating! I'm thinking I might pay to ride back up as well. ;-}

Janet said...

Cream Tea... sigh... I haven't had that in 20 years but I still remember how decadently delicious it is :0) Your pictures are lovely - thanks!! I hope all goes well with the transition to university.

Shirley said...

I love Clovelly and have walked down and up and had good food in the pub at the bottom. You were very good to manage it after a pint of cider. Just imagine living at the bottom and having to cart all those quilting supplies in one of those sledges!! Good luck with the Uni thing.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! Your photos are just gorgeous Jane! It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation too -- bring us more photos! I'm thinking I'd actually like that steep climb after what we experienced one day -- which will certainly be posted at some point LOL!

Susan Standen said...

You never fail to impress me with your eye for photography. The village looks stunningly beautiful.

Chookyblue...... said...

love the pics........what a beautiful place to visit........

Quilter Kathy said...

What a gorgeous place...I can't get over the colour of the water!

Sue-Anne said...

What a pretty seaside town, love all the bunting hanging up and I think I would have paid the money and got the ride back to the top. Great photos!

Timi said...

I do enjoy your photos!!! :o)))
What a beautiful holiday!

Sheilaf said...

Wonderful photos (You dont want me panicking again). Clovely is one of the lovliest spots in southern England, you did it justice. No hills here, I think I miss that. Good luck to your daughter.

Lynn Koeppen said...

Oh, your pictures are lovely. It makes me wish I were there.

Lynn Koeppen said...

Oh, your pictures are lovely. It makes me wish I were there.

Katie said...

Absolutely gorgeous pictures, Jane! I just love the vidid colour that you captured!

Katie said...

Such a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing! :-)

Tanya said...

Loved the fisherman's chair and cushion. And a cat lover to boot!!