Sunday, September 02, 2012

Baddesley Clinton

I have quite a few pictures I want to share with you that date back to our summer holidays and field trips, but at the same time I don't want to bore you with them either :o) So I've gone through and chosen the ones that caught my eye and I'll show you the rest scattered in with some sewing posts. I want to balance it out so you don't think this is just a blog of pictures of animals and flowers!

As my youngest is starting Year 5 she will be studying the Tudors this year and as a result another mom and I thought it would be good to take the children to a local Tudor house (a National Trust property) to sort of jump start the interest in the subject.

As Baddesley Clinton is quite local and is a Tudor house it fit the bill quite nicely. The other exciting part of this property is that it has priest holes. (from Google: "Priest hole" is the term given to hiding places for priests built into many of the principal Roman Catholic houses of England during the period when Catholics were persecuted by law in England, from the beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I in 1558.)

My uncle wrote a book about Priest Holes called Secret Hiding Places and as I had a copy I brought it along with us to read about the very nerve-wracking occasion when the priest hole in Baddesley Clinton was successful used. The children sat riveted as I read the excerpt from the book and I think they suddenly felt like the history around them was that little bit more tangible.

Included at the property was a lovely nature walk and a vegetable garden which the children enjoyed exploring.

As our visit was in the height of the Olympics there were a few familiar faces in amongst the foliage. Can you guess who they are?

It was a lovely day out that offered something for everyone including a little used bookshop and a resident cat or two who stopped to be petted.

Until next time...♥

5 comments:

Trudi said...

It's a lovely house and garden, we visited it last year :)

Susan Standen said...

Baddesley Clinton looks absolutely beautiful, and you got some gorgeous photos too.

Jane said...

Love the info on the priest holes to go with your lovely photos! Wish I could have gone with you!

Lynda said...

Baddesley Clinton is a lovely place to visit, and really interesting. Looks like you had good weather too.

Fay said...

They are some terrific photos of the House. It can look a little, umm, bleak at times.
Baddesley Clinton is my husband's ancestral home and has a wealth of history attached.I'm so glad your children enjoyed the stories!