Tuesday, August 28, 2012

For Sheila... :o)

Bless me readers it has been 20 days since my last confession blog post. I recently read somewhere to be a good blogger one should never apologize for not posting... that and you should never post pictures of your feet! (Huh??) So I'll spare you my feet, and not apologize but perhaps fill in the blanks as to where and what I've been up to.

I hadn't really thought anyone would miss my posts - but one friend did and sent the search party out for me. :o) I was so touched that through the network of computers and email someone so far away was asking questions to check to see if I was ok. I wasn't even aware I'd been "missing" until I was at my local sewing group this morning and a mutual friend gasped with relief as I walked through the door. It was surprising, but at the same time so very nice to know I was missed... so Sheila, I'm fine, thanks for asking!!

Most of the last 20 days have been all about the children and keeping them busy. Not only have we been on 2 holidays (Devon for the main one and the Forest of Dean for a mini one) but I've also been to a Tudor house and a Roman villa. We had the Olympics... and, well, for 2 weeks life was a schedule of T.V. watching and keeping up with the medal tables... woohoo to Team GB and a very happy shout out to the Canadians, who in my opinion had the best clothes for the opening and closing ceremonies.

In between it all there has been hospital appointments, numerous trips to the grocery store and the dreaded school clothing shop including shoes!

I have also snatched the odd sewing moment at the machine. My Sew into Solids blocks are 2 seams away from being blocks and the scrap bin is empty.

I now have several 4 1/2" crumb blocks waiting for inspiration. I'm not really worried if I don't use them right away as blocks are so much easier to store… and I feel less guilt storing blocks than scraps… why is that?

To top it all off there was the spectacular death of my iron!  It took out the electrics on the ground floor to which my husband turned to me and said: "What did you do?" LOL! Luckily it only tripped the RCD switch and I truly appreciated the new consumer unit we had installed a couple of years ago!  I now have a pink Morphy Richards iron…the verdict is still out as to whether my quick purchase in Sainsbury's was a good one or not.

I have started a new quilt ...even though there are several waiting for quilting on the back of the sofa... shhh! It is Home Sweet Home by Barb Adams & Alma Adams.

I have been wanting to start this quilt since seeing Jane in Wales' version and I wanted to make it with a soft pallet of golds, olives and wine reds.

This piece of fabric was the inspiration and I've collected all the fabrics that play nicely with it to be the pool of fabrics I’ll use. I got the first block done quite quickly and the second is well on its way.

 

I have managed to keep up and catch up with most blogs I read, but I have been doing so on a tablet. This is great at it is so easy to flip through Google reader, but the down side is that leaving comments isn't as easy as it is on the computer and once you throw in the silly Blogger word verification it becomes almost impossible. It got me thinking, are people leaving less comments than they use to? I have noticed less comments in the last year though the followers are on the increase. Could this be because more people are using tablets and aren't stopping by to "chat"? Have you noticed anything?

Well, I hope you’ll forgive me for being so long in writing and that this post begins to fill the blanks.  As always I have snapped pictures as I’ve been out on all the “field trips” and will endeavour to share them with you in the coming weeks. :o)

Until next time...♥

25 comments:

Ellyn said...

I had been wondering where you were too Jane! Glad everything is ok. & yes, I think you are right about the comments. I'll be honest, when I read on my iPad I don't usually leave comments either. hmm...

Chookyblue...... said...

nice house.......I know a lot say it is too hard to leave comments on phones and ipad esp with the word verification............

Tara Lynn Darr said...

I read blogs on my iPad also and rarely leave comments while on it! Love that gold fabric - what fabric line is it from?

Nic said...

Sounds like you've had some good holidaying.

I pretty much only read blogs on my ipad now. I'm not sure if it impacts how often I leave a comment - though yes, it is slower to type messages. And blogger doesn't like you editing your comments on an ipad unless it's using the delete button to get back to the mistake. But I think the time issue probably influences my comment leaving more. I've quite a few blogs that I follow using reader, but I don't comment on every post that friends write, just as I know that I have more readers than commenters on my blog. All's good, we're still sharing our pretties, and that's the point right :)

katelnorth said...

I don't use a tablet, but I do use a reader, so leaving a comment means leaving the reader, going to the blog, leaving the comment, going back to the reader... I don't mind the work involved in leaving comments, but I don't leave many of the "that's nice" variety - I usually have to have something more than that to say in order to make the effort. If a blog posts to facebook and I see it, I'm more likely to leave a quick comment there, because it's just so easy to do.

Lizzie said...

I'm pretty slack too at the moment, life just gets in the way sometimes..I have that Blackbird book too, it's on my 'one day' list..! I think you're right about the comments but for me it's definitely the word verification thing that puts me off, I have so much trouble reading the letters that half the time I just give up....!!
Lizzie
xxx

Sheilaf said...

Wow - mentioned in dispatches. Glad to know you are Ok, welcome back, cannot wait to see the next batch of photos, they are so good. Love the new quilt.
Sheila (Fl.)

sewkalico said...

I missed you! Love your house blocks!

Jane said...

I've been wanting to make up some of those houses, too! Perhaps, I'll get the book and join you! I love your fabric choices, especially that yellow! What is it?
Welcome back!
Jane

Di said...

Welcome back, Jane, and thanks for sharing your gorgeous new quilt-in-progress. I also read most of my blogs on my iPad (through Flipboard) and admit I don't often leave comments even though I'm an avid reader and follower of many blogs. I guess I'd rather keep up with reading them, and commenting takes time. I think I must correct this though because, as a blogger myself, I know how gratifying it is to read feedback from friends around the world :-))

Janet said...

Oh goody, goody :0) I adore your new project and the fabric colors you are using!! I will so enjoy watching your progress on this! Can't wait to see your solids quilt come together too.

Quilter Kathy said...

So glad you have been sewing :) LOVE LOVE the scrap blocks and can't wait to see what they become... although they look so pretty in the basket too.
Re: comments...I think the word verification has made it so frustrating that people just don't want the hassle of commenting anymore.

Cathi said...

I love the fabric you chose as the starting point for your new quilt. It is going to be gorgeous!

I read blogs now mostly on a tablet (using Feeddler) and yes, I know I tend not to leave as many comments as I used to, particularly on Blogger blogs that have that word verification thing turned on -- it is SO hard to read on a tablet. Like you, I have noticed that I have more followers/subscribers but definitely fewer comments. I'm glad you mentioned it, as I think it's a good reminder to me that everyone likes to get comments. Feeddler is a great app that lets me leave comments without having to leave the app, so I'm going to leave more comments than I have been recently.

Amanda said...

I love the look of the book, so I'll have to keep an eye open for it. I've noticed that I'm tending to leave fewer comments whichever platform I'm using. But in my case I think it goes hand in hand with less blogging on my part. I still love reading other blogs though. Perhaps when the winter comes and I don't want to get up so early I'll feel like commenting more whilst I'm cosily tucked up in bed.

Amys Crafty Shenanigans said...

Love your latest project Jane. And yes, I agree that the Canadians had the best outfits too - how cool are we to wear denim jackets to a closing ceremony... oh so practical yet quite cool!!!

Lynda said...

Your scrap bin is empty?!! I thought scraps were like rabbits, and bred when you weren't looking! (Mine seem to.)

Susan Standen said...

So pleased you are having a good summer. Loving what you are working on but more important, that you are having fun.

Contented Caroline said...

Glad you had a great summer with the girls. Love your home block - i've had that book for years and always wanted to do it - i would never have the patience for all that needle-turn, give me bondaweb anyday and I'd blanket stitch the lot on my machine - yours will of course look so much better!!

Janet said...

The gold fabric is gorgeous. I love the quilt and the first block looks beautiful.

Shirley said...

Saw all the photo's this time and well worth coming back and trying again. The house block is beautiful.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I was wondering if you were away on vacation...Your new quilting project is lovely. How many houses in the quilt? your rainbow of scrappy blocks are very tempting...I would want to sew them into a quilt right away!

Kim said...

But of course we miss you when you are MIA. We all have times, years for some of us, lol, when we simply have other things going on and time slips past quick as a blink and poof, it's time for an update post. Good to hear from you. :-D

Ruth said...

I will be interested to see what you do with the crumb blocks. Looks like you have quite a few done!! I love your blocks for the new quilt!

summersadie said...

I'm loving that home sweet home quilt! Yes, I leave way fewer comments than I used to. It's quite a hassle to do so from the tablet, you're right. That's the main reason I don't. Also, is there something about the tablet and word verification that aren't compatible? I can never get it to accept, so I've stopped trying.

Newbie in MD said...

I am new to quilting and to your blog, which I think is awesome and informative.

Your crumbles remind me of the quilt top I salvaged from my mom. It's full of smaller pieces, which were used to make up what appears to be 6 inch blocks. The cool thing is that there was no uniformity or order used; the pieces are not even, but you can definitely tell it was meant for utility. (I imagine that old clothing was used.) Mom is deceased and there is no one else from whom to obtain the 'stories' behind the fabrics used. My guess is that the quilt was made in the 1930's or 1940's. I only have the top; I removed the backing in the late 80's after mom passed. It was quite worn.

Thank you for sharing and giving me something to smile about this afternoon.