Ages ago I bought this sewing organizer and when I wasn’t looking it got claimed by DD1…well now she’s done with it and it has suddenly reappeared back into my procession. Looking at it I thought it could be quite useful, but also thought it looked rather tired and that it would be fun to come up with a fresh new version.
So out came the paper, tape measure and calculator…and now as I have a fabulous collection of zips, I thought I might try and incorporate a couple of those too.
I spent an afternoon last week picking out fabrics and then this afternoon I got cutting and tackled sewing in the zips.
I wasn’t bothered about the zipped pockets being lined, so I have sewn 2 fabrics together with a 1/2” seam and left a gap in the middle for the zipper. I pressed it well and starched it and then carefully sewed the zip in place using a zipper foot.
I left the ends of the zip long and once I was satisfied with the placement I sewed the pockets all the way around to the new quilted insert and then trimmed the excess zip.
I have a bit of hand sewing to do and then I’ll be able to assemble all the pieces. The end result, if I did all the math right, should be quite functional :o)
One question you might have is how to get the zipper pull onto the zipper. I find wrapping a bit of masking tape on the end edges gives them that little bit of stability you need when you are threading the zip onto the end. This tutorial was very helpful.
And now the answer you have all been wanting to know… who’s the winner for the £25 voucher for McZips …it is:… Number 6 and that is Gill! Congratulations!!
Until next time...♥