Friday, July 20, 2012

Ta-Da!

I did it...I got my new and improved basket holder finished.  This is what it looked like last week and after deconstructing it and measuring it from every angle I’ve made a new insert that is more up to date. :o)

It has been awhile since I’ve made anything 3D, but I quite enjoyed the challenge of working out how the seams would line up and how I could finish all the edges.

I ended up making the middle, the flaps and the end pieces like mini quilts and bound 3 edges of the buttonholed flaps and the green sides.  Then I secured them on the edge with the main body of the liner and bound the whole thing as one.

Then I brought the green sides up and used a ladder stitch to sew the end pieces to the bound edges of the body and that made it 3D.  It worked surprisingly well!  I added a two zipped pockets, one inside and one out for extra storage and used my zips from McZips.  The results are this updated basket…which believe it or not, my daughter wants to claim back!  Hmmph…figures!

Until next time...♥

17 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

lovely basket for your sewing things! You may need to chain it to your sewing area so the resident knitter does not claim it!

susan said...

The basket is gorgeous - do not give it back!!

supermomnocape said...

I agree with the other poster... don't give it back.

I have an old knitting bag similiar to this that I've had for years and years, after seeing how great yours turned out, I think mine is due for an update.

Ellyn said...

beautiful! Now I will be on the lookout for a vintage sewing basket frame so I can do one too

Terry said...

That came out great! :0)

Thimbleanna said...

That's adorable Jane -- it turned out beautifully!!!

Jane said...

Awesome! It is impeccably done! Good job!

Andrea said...

Brilliant - what are the odds of you keeping it ? lol xxx

Timi said...

It looks GREAT!!!!:o)
I like it very much!!!

Amys Crafty Shenanigans said...

Wow you are so clever!! It looks amazing - love the fabric measuring tape detail :)

LynCC said...

Very pretty - you did a wonderful job.

Shirley said...

Looks fabulous Jane. I want one now. Shall have to find my old one and revamp it. The zips look good.

Rose Marie said...

Very clever .... looks wonderful!

maria said...

It's a wonderful Ta Da! Very clever.

Ariane said...

Your basket looks great now!! Love it!!

Lynda said...

Definitely an improvement on its former self!

sewkalico said...

Fantastic job!!!