Monday, July 30, 2012

Godiva Awakes…

Rugby had a very special visitor today…a 20 foot tall Godiva!  She is making the journey over the next week down to London as part of the cultural celebrations for the Olympic Games and will visit Northampton, Milton Keynes, Luton, Hatfield and Waltham Abbey before arriving at Waltham Forest on August 5.

Godiva’s journey to London is being powered by 100 cyclists who will take Godiva and her horse down to London.

We were lucky enough to arrive for the parade just as they were taking her through the gates at Rugby School.  You can really see the sheer size of her when you compare her to the men standing around her feet.

If you want to read more or see the break down of the schedule, then pop over to the official site.  If you are within reach of her route then it is well worth trying to see her.  She is a real piece of art.

There was a tremendous amount of engineering behind her to make her animated and life-like.

From a textile point of view I couldn’t help wonder about the man-handling that had to take place to make her clothing.  Can you imagine having to push all that fabric under the machine!! 

There was quite a bit of detailing on her clothes and I only managed to snap this close-up as she floated by, but the quote is quite fascinating.

“People were quite happy with their jobs and content to put handles on cups all day, I wanted more than to be covered in clay…”

Here she is walking into Coventry…

You can see her departure from Coventry with her 100 cyclists and horse in this video...

Until next time...♥

14 comments:

Terry said...

That's amazing! And how cool that she's moved from place to place by bicycles! Thanks for sharing this! :0)

Joy said...

Wow Jane that's so cool. So much work has gone into such an amazing display ... and I just love that she's powered by 100 bicycles :o).
Thanks for the videos, I loved them :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Shirley said...

With a quote like that she could have been a Stokie girl with dreams. What a fascinating thing.

By Hoki Quilts said...

Jane I have been watching some of Godiva on 'A Coventry Kid I Am' but never saw her detail as well as in these two films. Thank you so much for sharing the pride in the talent to be found in my hometown.
hugs
Miche'le : )

Jane said...

That was simply fascinating! Thanks for sharing!
She is SO life-like!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Jane! That's amazing! I was glad to see her sort of naked in the one video - I was going to have to ask about that! 😃

pizzaeater said...

I have heard the name Godiva before but never knew the legend. I enjoyed the pictures then learning about her. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda said...

What a sight that must be, I'd love to see her but it's a bit of a distance away from us. Perhaps they felt that a 20foot high naked Godiva would be a bit too much of an eyeful!

anne bebbington said...

She reminds me of the Geants from the Northern French carnivals around Mardi Gras time - I've been a bit cynical about all the build up to the Olympics with the Cultural Olympiad and the Torch Relay but actually even a grumpy old woman like me has been dragged on board with it all and been impressed. Have to say I'm rather glad she has her clothes on :)

Sarah Jayne said...

That was amazing. Thank you so much for sharing it with us all. It made me go all goose bumpy!
Looks and sounds like everyone had a great time. So glad the sun was shining.

Mary Lou Weidman said...

What a treat to be here in my home and see such a bautiful thing! Thank you for much for sharing this! Isn't she beautiful and you are right, what a JOB sewing her clothes-I am happy she is wearing clothes-the children sounded so happy too! LOVELY!

Lynda said...

I missed out on this -even though I'm only about 8 miles away! (Do we konw why she has clothes though - I thought the whole point of Lady Godiva was that she was naked!

Rachel said...

Hello, I really enjoyed reading this post, thanks for sharing your experience. My name is Rachel Grant and I'm the textile artist who created the Potteries designs for Godiva's coat including the quote that you've featured here. More of my work can be found at www.rachel-grant.com Thanks again for sharing this :)

Carole said...

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!