Monday, June 11, 2012

Sew into Solids… New Inspiration!

You don't want to see my HST for my blocks trimmed and pressed, so I thought I’d do a little post on something that I have noticed in the last few weeks that might inspire you to try a new project with solid fabrics. 

There seems to be a new trend to use solids with printed fabrics.  The solid fabrics act as the neutral background where once we would use a white on white fabric… how last century! :o)  Elizabeth from Oh, Fransson does that a lot with her work.  Just look at this latest post.

And Cindy over at Hyacinth Quilt Designs used a combination of solid fabrics and prints to make this very striking Pyramid Quilt (with tutorial) that is definitely on my to-do list!

1. New quilt top, (blogged here)2. Snoopy and Friends, 3. [Quilty] Dulcie's Quilt top, 4. Octagonal Orb (tutorial can be found here )

Of course I have seen the opposite where the solids are the feature fabric and the print acts like the background.  Check out Fresh Lemon’s Dresden Plate or Red Pepper Quilts Kona Jelly Roll quilt.

1. Retro Flower Quilt, 2. Basting, 3. Dream On quilt - finished!, 4. Patchwork Chevron Quilt 4/12, 5. Hillside quilt (3), 6. Kona Jelly Roll in Progress

Either way it might be nice to have a project that has a bit of both types of fabric.  All solids can be a bit daunting… and monotonous (well, at least that’s what I’ve found) so perhaps combining the two would make it easier… hmm is this another project to add to the collection?

Now before you go, here are some links:

Until next time....

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Lovely line-up of inspiration, Jane! Yes, I've also been noticing that solids are seeing more of the spotlight than in times past. I'm also quite excited to see that the palette of solids being produced has continued to expand.

Funny, I just discovered Chip It! recently too (we seem to be on the same wavelength... lol)... oh, what fun to play with colour!

Karen said...

Do you have 350 followers?? I am awarding you the Liebster Award, for blogs with less than 200 followers, but I was going partly by number of comments. Oops! Anyway, I'm going to leave it, and if you want to know more you can read my blog, which I know you do anyway :) Your blog IS one of my faves!

cinzia said...

Yes, when you use just a little bit of your favorite prints with solids, they really are showcased! Thanks for including my QIP in your mosaic!

handmade said...

What a lovely blog !!!