Thursday, June 07, 2012

Hook, Line and Sinker…

Last weekend while the Jubilee celebrations were being televised, I wanted something mindless to sew.  Something that would be easy to put down as I went to the T.V. for the highlights and easy to pick up while the commentators filled the air time.  So I started a granny square quilt and I have to say I fell for it hook, line and sinker!  What a fabulous pattern that easily chewed through the scraps and made up to a decent size quickly.

Lynda recently posted about a slight variation on the construction method in that you treat the inner 9 patch as one unit and then the four corners are made and then sewn to the 9 patch and I have to say that was sheer brilliance and made the construction so quick compared to the original instructions.

The quilt as it stands measures 40” x 50” and I can’t decide if it needs a border?  I’m almost tempted to say it looks done especially if I put a nice bright pink or red binding.  What do you think?

Until next time....

23 comments:

Janet said...

It`s wonderful!! That went together so fast. I don`t think it needs a border either. Bright binding will be just right :0)

katelnorth said...

I don't think it wants a border - might make it look too heavy. If the binding is bright, it will serve the purpose of enclosing the white space, but still keep the light airy-ness. Nice quilt :)

susan said...

Looks done to me. Also looks gorgeous.

Katherine said...

Beautiful, Jane. I truly love these blocks and think they look best made from scraps, but then you know I'm biased. ;o)

jodi@Pleasant-Home said...

Its fabulous Jane! Border or no border is always a hard decision for me.

Terry said...

It's beautiful Jane! This is another one that's on my list! :0)

Katie said...

I love it! I'm putting it on my list too. :-)

Chookyblue...... said...

love the quilt...........did you think of a royal name to remember it by.........

I enjoyed watching highlights of the celebrations on tv....

Caroline said...

It just look perfect like this. Great quilt to use all those bits of scrap.

eva said...

I love your quilt and I think it´s best the way it is right now. Love these blocks and this was a wonderful way of putting them together. Thanks!

Ellyn said...

red binding. but then, if I had my way, every quilt would have red binding! LOL It's a lovely quilt

Quilter Kathy said...

Love it! A red binding would be heavenly!

Sharon said...

Definitely done! Looks wonderful just as it is.

Amanda said...

I think modern looking quilts look much better without a border, and a red binding will finish it off perfectly.

Shirley said...

Seems to be a no brainer - no border. Looks great and I can see the logic in doing nine patches and adding the corners.

Lynda said...

Interesting that you and I both enjoyed this block! We're definitely scrappy girls at heart! I went through the same border dilemma, and am glad I bordered mine. It throws the intrest fairly and squarely onto the piecing.

supermomnocape said...

Oh I like your granny square quilt. It's fun that you have some squares from novelty fabrics. They'll be fun little discoveries for whoever uses the quilt.

randi--i have to say said...

So pretty, Jane!

sewkalico said...

It looks great! I must say I fancy making one too now :)

Sarah said...

That quilt is scrappy heaven! Looks ready for binding to me. Grannies are calling to me from my very long to do list now.

Thimbleanna said...

I LOVE It! Those colors are so bright and happy! It sure looks done to me -- and pink or red would be the perfect binding color!

Kitty said...

Wow - I really think that is one of your best quilts ever, Jane. It's gorgeous!

Teje said...

Hi! Your quilt is going to be so beautiful! I like that fabric with small print, you have used around the grannies! x Teje