Thursday, June 28, 2012

Basting…

Never satisfied with one method, I’ve been experimenting with a new method of basting my quilts using a Q-Snap floor frame.  I bought my frame years ago when I was living in Canada and it really hasn’t had much use in recent years.  I thought it might be just the thing to get my quilts basted where the front and backs would be nice and smooth and free of pleats. 

The first quilt I basted I used thread and that was a bit tricky in that I had to contort myself to get the needle back to the surface.  So then I had a brain wave and thought about buying a Micro Stitch Basting Gun.  I had one of these when I was living in Canada, and it was rubbish, but regardless of that, I decided to do a little research and see if things had improved.  From I could gather, the technology is better now and the tacks smaller…so I bought myself one for my birthday…and I can say, I’m rather pleased.

The largest quilt I basted was about 75” square and I think that was about the limit of for me and the frame, but for anything smaller this combination of frame and basting gun seems to be a winner.  It was fast and once I worked out the angle I needed to get the tacks through all the layers in one go, I got a rhythm going.  I now have all but 1 quilt top basted and ready for quilting.  I’m quite excited to see how well the layers hold, but I may be less exciting when it is time to remove the tacks!  If only they were water soluble! :o)

Until next time....

11 comments:

susan said...

Do the tacks not have little nubby bits that get in the way when you are quilting? Just curious as I have never seen them.

Anina said...

I can't wait to hear your report on how well the layers hold together when you start quilting these. I'm SO tired of crawling around on the floor basting quilts.

YankeeQuilter said...

I use a long doll needle when basting and do a tailor stitch...works well. (I don't like having to take out safety pins!) Whatever works for each quilter is great....

Paula TheQuilter said...

I've started using my quilting frame to baste also. I also do a tailor stitch to baste and I am currently using up all of my water soluble thread. There will be no shifting on these quilts.

Janet said...

That sounds like a great way to baste. I hate basting. I have an enormous quilt I need to baste and we just put in new floors that I don't want to scratch. I need to try something new too.

Liz said...

Do you put tacks in at regular intervals rather than randomly so they would be easier to find and remove.
I think a game for DD2 would be to find stray tacks when you think you have removed them all, especially if there was an edible incentive, or does that only work with small boys?
I have planks you can have if you haven't already tried Lynda's method.

Shirley said...

Sounds like a good plan Jane. I am all for anything that gets the job done. It is the worst part of quiltmaking I think but it has to be done. Will be interested to hear how you get on.

Thimbleanna said...

Gosh, I didn't know those guns were still around LOL. I'll be anxiously awaiting your report!

Lynda said...

Since layering up is my least favourite part of quilting, I'm intrigued by this!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wish I could come over and do some quilting and visiting!!! What a beautiful quilt! It would be great if someone invented water soluble tacks!

Smultronbo said...

I am so looking forward to see ur report on how this works out when quilting too. I would love to get my hands on a large frame like that to make the basting easier. Allready have a basting gun for it. Thanks for sharing.