Never satisfied with one method, I’ve been experimenting with a new method of basting my quilts using a Q-Snap floor frame. I bought my frame years ago when I was living in Canada and it really hasn’t had much use in recent years. I thought it might be just the thing to get my quilts basted where the front and backs would be nice and smooth and free of pleats.
The first quilt I basted I used thread and that was a bit tricky in that I had to contort myself to get the needle back to the surface. So then I had a brain wave and thought about buying a Micro Stitch Basting Gun. I had one of these when I was living in Canada, and it was rubbish, but regardless of that, I decided to do a little research and see if things had improved. From I could gather, the technology is better now and the tacks smaller…so I bought myself one for my birthday…and I can say, I’m rather pleased.
The largest quilt I basted was about 75” square and I think that was about the limit of for me and the frame, but for anything smaller this combination of frame and basting gun seems to be a winner. It was fast and once I worked out the angle I needed to get the tacks through all the layers in one go, I got a rhythm going. I now have all but 1 quilt top basted and ready for quilting. I’m quite excited to see how well the layers hold, but I may be less exciting when it is time to remove the tacks! If only they were water soluble! :o)
Until next time....