When it is beautiful outside the last thing you want to do is sit in front of the computer, so I haven’t and I’ve totally enjoyed my blogging break enjoying the sun while reading a good book and doing a little hand sewing.
When it got too warm to do that, I moved inside and got all my 9 patches made for my Sew into Solids blocks. This was a big turning point because I now have all my units ready and can start sewing the remaining 10 blocks. At this rate I might catch Katherine up and get to the basting and quilting part :o)
In other news I finished another quilt for Project Linus. You’ve seen the progress on this quilt here and here and I’m so pleased to have it done. I don’t often name quilts, but if I was going to name this one it would be “1 step forward 3 steps back”!
I so enjoyed making the blocks and piecing it was a dream…in most cases my points are just right, but the quilting just about did me in.
I originally thought I’d free-machine quilt it, but as the back was dark and the top light, the white thread I was using in the bobbin stood out on the back and I just didn’t like it. So I unpicked it and started again with dark thread in the bobbin and white on the top…but no matter how much fiddling I did with my tension I either got black dots on the top or white dots on the bottom…so all that quilting came out and I decided to stitch in the ditch. The result was much better, until I folded one end of the backing under and stitched a whole row with this extra fabric tucked up! Grrr…out came the seam ripper for a 3rd time!! Finally I got the quilt completed and once it was done and binding on, it looked pretty good. Hopefully it will bring some comfort to someone in need.
Until next time....