Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sew into Solids Update and a Finish.

When it is beautiful outside the last thing you want to do is sit in front of the computer, so I haven’t and I’ve totally enjoyed my blogging break enjoying the sun while reading a good book and doing a little hand sewing.

When it got too warm to do that, I moved inside and got all my 9 patches made for my Sew into Solids blocks.  This was a big turning point because I now have all my units ready and can start sewing the remaining 10 blocks.  At this rate I might catch Katherine up and get to the basting and quilting part :o)

In other news I finished another quilt for Project Linus.  You’ve seen the progress on this quilt here and here and I’m so pleased to have it done.  I don’t often name quilts, but if I was going to name this one it would be “1 step forward 3 steps back”! 

I so enjoyed making the blocks and piecing it was a dream…in most cases my points are just right, but the quilting just about did me in. 

I originally thought I’d free-machine quilt it, but as the back was dark and the top light, the white thread I was using in the bobbin stood out on the back and I just didn’t like it. So I unpicked it and started again with dark thread in the bobbin and white on the top…but no matter how much fiddling I did with my tension I either got black dots on the top or white dots on the bottom…so all that quilting came out and I decided to stitch in the ditch. The result was much better, until I folded one end of the backing under and stitched a whole row with this extra fabric tucked up! Grrr…out came the seam ripper for a 3rd time!! Finally I got the quilt completed and once it was done and binding on, it looked pretty good. Hopefully it will bring some comfort to someone in need.

Until next time....

8 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

That is just so frustrating, eh? I hate when the backing folds over...grrr! Good for you to stick with it...it's a great scrap quilt!

Jane said...

Love the finished quilt even though it caused quite a few headaches for you!

Katie said...

Some quilts just fight back the whole way through! It's a sweet quilt and I'm sure someone will love it very much. :-)

Shirley said...

I am positive it will be well loved. It is a lovely quilt and well done for persevering even more so given the heatwave.

Thimbleanna said...

I think having the top and back of a quilt be different colors is the hardest thing for me -- I always have the problems you described and it drives me crazy. Your quilt looks great now though!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice finish! Perseverence is an excellent quality in a quilter--some quilts require more of it than others...

Can't wait to see your blocks finished...

Gail

Lynda said...

Gald you've got on with your solids - I know the monotony of sewing the same fabrics has got to you a bit. But with a finish in sight (and a great design finish at that!) you're on the home stretch now! Also share your pain with the Linus quilting. My Scrappy Triangles was also awkward - thread kept shredding and breaking etc. Was there something about the favrics?

Teje said...

Hi Jane! That is so beautiful quilt! What a great pattern and I love your colour and fabric choices! Your new blocks in your latest post are also wonderful!
Enjoy your summer weather and sewing outside! x Teje