I dug out the fabrics I won from the Village Haberdashery and thought I’d have a go at this tutorial I saw for Drunkards Path’s blocks. This method of cutting the shapes is genius as there is very little fabric waste. Two squares of equal size are cut and then the curve is cut out of the squares. I used a circle ruler I had to get the shape rather than use the template in the tutorial. Then, and this is the clever bit, a 3/8” sliver is taken off both sides of the concave shape…meaning that your shapes are ready to sew and you haven’t had to cut an inside and outside shape leaving you with weird fabric scraps.
Then the next thing I did to make my life easier is that rather than use pins to hold the pieces together I used some Roxanne’s Glue Baste it. I matched the edges and the centre first, then went back in with a dot-dot-not-a-lot in the seam allowance. As the seam was all matched and glued before I went to the machine, nothing shifted and the sewing went smoothly.
Not stopping at one idea, I tried the same method again but on a larger sized square. This time I started with a half square triangle block and cut curves out of both corners. Then I cut my 3/8" sliver off the edges and swapped my curved piece pieces around so the dark fabric would be next to the light fabric.
I think these blocks offer lots of possibilities and I really love the boldness the solid fabric gives the pattern.
Now that you've seen what I've been playing with, pop over to Katherine and see her work.
Until next time....