Back in 2010 I started 2 sampler quilts from the Lynne Edwards Sampler Book. There was one pink one and one homespun one. The pink one was finished last month and the homespun one was finished last week, but I didn’t want to share it with you until I had done one final thing….over-dye it!
You may remember me talking about using Pebble Beige Dylon Dye to “age” my quilt to make it look a lot older than it really is. Back in January when I mentioned doing this I promised I would show you the results (good or bad)…and as the post title suggests…the results are in :o)
I used 2 boxes in the washing machine along with the recommended 500g of salt. Each box dyes 600g of fabric and as the quilt weighed 1200g I needed twice the amount of dye. The results are subtle, but it knocked back the bright white and made the quilt “old”.
It may be difficult to spot the differences, but the mariner's compass in the middle shows it quite well. The pictures don’t do it quite the justice it deserves, but that white background was quite bright and now has a more muted effect.
I’m really pleased with the results but now I need a suitable rustic room to put it in! :o)
I loved working with the homespuns and seeing how the different patterns played with the plaids of the fabric. My favourite block was the pineapple (in the upper left-hand corner) and I would love to do a whole quilt of pineapple blocks in plaids….but first I need to get some of my other projects completed! :o)
Until next time....