Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Snow?!

As many of you already know the UK saw its first and hopefully last significant snow of the season this past weekend.  As it happened, we were hosting a family party and with most of our guests travelling from The North we were keeping a close eye on the weather.  By 4 p.m. we were checking the webcams at the city hall in Stoke-on-Trent where our family had travelled from in the morning and realized very quickly that if they were going to make it home then they would have to leave sooner rather than later.  I honestly thought for a split second that I was going to have to find beds for 6 extra people, 2 children and a baby!!  Although the party ended earlier, we still had a good time and everyone got home safely.



By 10:30 p.m. this was the scene in my garden and as you can see the snow wasn't slowing down.
By morning everything had a wonderful blanket of snow and the whole thing felt very Canadian. Scarves, mitts and tuques (Canadian for winter hat) had to be pulled out of the cupboards to provide warmth before we could head out and make a snowman and clear the drive.



I bought this snow shovel back in October.  When I brought it home DH was sceptical whether we would every have the need for a snow shovel as snow in the UK used to be pretty rare.  Well, the way I saw it was that for the past 3 winters I have cleared the drive with a spade (don't laugh!! LOL) and I dreamed of the day I would find a proper snow shovel without having to import one from Canada.  I was so pleased to see it used and lets face it to be proved right that the £7 I spent was a sound investment.



After all that work, we retreated back inside for some warm drinks and a spot of crafting.  DD1 sat and knitted on another pair of socks..this time turning the heel the traditional way.  I have no idea what that really means, but it sounds impressive! :o)

Until next time....

10 comments:

Terry said...

Your snow looks wonderful! We haven't had that much at one time yet, but we've had four smaller snows. I'd be happy if we didn't have any more too!

The Cozy Quilter said...

You have more snow than we have inSouthern Ontario in Canada. We have no snow at the moment. My primroses are in bloom in the backyard. I have not had my touque out this year!

grannyanne said...

It's funny how the Canadian in us follows us around the world. I now live in the states near the ocean which makes for light snowfalls if any. The first thing I myself bought was a good shovel! Ingrained or what? It has been used the last two years. Do you like living in the UK? My husband and I had talked about moving to Scotland but that is still quite the maybe. (my daughter would kill me)

Liz said...

When I saw the snow fall I thought of you and your shovel. Glad the family party went well!

wendz said...

I had to smile at your snow shovel remark. My husband bought a snow shovel after last winter and has been champing at the bit to use it....and of course it has been so mild this year.

But finally some snow over the weekend - although here we only got about 15cm. Nevertheless out came the shovel to clear the drive. I laughed and laughed and laughed. :)

susan said...

I loved the snow too. And am equally impressed with DD1's knitting. Something I can NOT do for love nor money!

Timi said...

We have snow here, too...and cold...-15 C...Brrrrr
That socks look fantastic!!!
(I wish I could knit....)

*karendianne. said...

Oh what pretty snow. Happy to read everyone got home from the party just fine. Pretty sock coming into form (the traditional way). *wink*

Quilter Kathy said...

You're having more snowy fun than we are here! The snow is gone and the sun is shining!

Thimbleanna said...

Hahaha -- you're so funny. Now that you mention it, I don't know what the "traditional way" means either. What's the untraditional way??? And Yipee for your Snow!!!