Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leaping Lizards! It's Carolyn Forster's NEW Book!

Hoppy Leap Day! It is the 29th of February!  A day that only comes around once every 4 years and I have a very hoppy post for you!  ..I even got my own lizard to leap for joy so I could have a great blog post title!  (many thanks to DD2 for jumping around the garden in her dinosaur costume...and my apologies to the neighbours who must think I'm a bit nuts!)



I am so excited!  I am the last, but certainly not least, to share my review of Carolyn's new book Utility Quilting Simple Solutions for Quick Hand Quilting

It is with a spring in my step that I get to be part of Carolyn's book tour and can share with you this fantastic reference book.  This is one for the bookshelf that you will jump to over and over again for inspiration and techniques for getting your quilt tops quilted and put into use.



It is full of clear pictures and diagrams and easy to understand tips and tricks for all levels of quilters.  If you think you have seen it all...you haven't until you've read Carolyn's book.



I've been quilting for over 18 years, across 2 countries and there were ideas in Carolyn's book I hadn't seen before including several methods for tying quilts..something we don't see too much of these days, but definitely a worthwhile technique.



Carolyn shares a great method for marking cables in borders, which I found very useful as I always forget how to draw cables and end up emptying the bookshelf trying to find a book on how to draw them so they will fit.  Now I won't have to go through that and only pull out one book!



There are a selection of patterns for quilts too.. some quick enough for those moments when hubby comes home from work and announces that the secretary is going on maternity leave at the end of the week and he'd like to give her a baby quilt as a present!  Has that happened to you?  It hasn't happened to me yet, but I've got the book if it ever does :o)



I love big stitch quilting!  I've used it many times on my projects and Carolyn's book has simply encouraged me to do more and experiment with other quilting designs and stitches too.  If you want to see more of her book click here.



Now for the best part that has me jumping for joy on leap day!

Carolyn is giving you the chance to win a copy of her book along with some other goodies
So hop to it !

Skip on over to Carolyn's blog before March 2nd for a chance to win your very own copy of Carolyn's Utility Quilting Book, some Valdani Cotton Pearl no12, a packet of Bohin Betweens needles size 5 and a bundle of Makower's latest fabric line!  Good Luck!

Until next time....

10 comments:

Katie said...

I can't wait to see this book, I've already heard so much about it! Your daughter makes a very cute jumping dinosaur :-)

The Cozy Quilter said...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for this leap year give-away!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your DD is a good sport!

Rachel said...

This looks like a great book. I always think I should do more hand-quilting but I'm in for (almost) instant gratification when it comes to quilt projects and I'm such a sloooow hand-quilter.

Thanks for the tip on the giveaway!

Liz said...

How many times did that poor child have to jump before you got the perfect shot?
;-) Can you imaging Young Master Chaos obliging me in the same way? No me neither! May I pay you a visit for a flick through that lovely book of inspiration.

Shirley said...

I have the book, it is fabulous and I want to make every quilt in the book. Great review Jane. Love your leaping lizard.

Tanya said...

Thanks for the lead. It looks like a wonderful book and I have my name down for the draw!

Gill said...

Thank you!
This looks a fabulous book and it's now on my Amazon wishlist

Lori said...

Such a cute and wonderful review!!

Lynda said...

Having had a sneak preview I can definitely confirm that this book is clear and easy to use. (Just off to Carolyn's blog now!)