Monday, February 20, 2012

Blogging Break = Half Term

Or is it half term = blogging break? Well which ever way you look at it I was gone for a week while the kids were home from school. I always think I'm going to have more time for things when they are home but it never quite works out that way!  I did get some sewing done and I've taken pictures which I will share with you as the week goes on.

We had a really good half term.  On Thursday I took the children to the Rugby Art Gallery.  There was a workshop running where you could either write a piece of writing or make a piece of art and a local artist would respond to it by again either making a piece of art to accompany your writing or write something to go with your art.  As my DD2 and her friend Master H are very interesting in all things arty I thought they would like the experience.

Both of them looked at all the pieces in the gallery and it was really interesting to hear them talk about each of the pieces.  I didn't expect them to engage so much and talk about what they liked and disliked about each piece of artwork.  In fact Master H was so interested, he took pictures (which I had to sign a waiver promising not to show on the internet!) so he could try his hand at his own version when he got home.

Once settled in the Art room each of them decided they would have a go at a little clay sculpture and then in turn a writer responded to each of the their pieces of work.



This was Master H's work...



and this is DD2 work.

Both had a wonderful time and I think would have liked longer to talk to the artists and writers.  What I found remarkable is that age didn't matter.  The artists were as appreciative of the children's work as you would be of any adult's and the voices of encouragement left both children inspired.  DD2 was brimming with ideas after we left and Master H's best comment was that it was nice to make something that wasn't made from cardboard (the regular material of choice).  My many thanks to the Rugby Artitst Group for a great event.

-------------------------------------

In other news,  a surprise arrived in the post the other week from the lovely Ann in France.



The parcel was wrapped in lovely tissue paper and bright pink ribbon...so pretty I almost didn't want to open it!



Along with the card, Ann included some very delicious chocolate, 5 pieces of lovely fabric and a kanzashi flower maker.  I have yet to try the flower maker, but I could see making these and adding them to bags as an extra embellishment.  Thanks Ann for the lovely gift.  It really brightened my day!



-------------------------------------
Lastly, I just have to touch on the subject of blogger and comments.  By now you might have read that blogger have changed the formatting of the captcha word verification and the image with the letters is quite cryptic.  I have in the past used the word verification to combat again spamming comments, but with the new system I have turned it off.  I feel the new system will discourage people from leaving comments and I rather have comments then not.  The other change I've implemented is I have removed the ability of anonymous comments as that should kerb the spammers, but I do realize that also may mean some of you can't comment.  I would say to you ...leave me a comment telling me if this affects you, but that won't work....so if you can't comment you'll have to drop me an email....otherwise I'll assume that it works.

Until next time....

9 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

It looks like you've had a lovely half term. What cute little sculptures the children have made. Did they get some fun writing in return?

And Thank You for turning off that word verification!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have not been getting very many comments lately on my blog and the new word verification is likely the culprit. Thanks for turning it off. I may do the same thing. It looks like your budding artists had a wonderful day.

Lizzie said...

great budding artists you have Jane.. I turned off word verification yesterday too, my comments have been about a quarter of what I normally get and it's such a shame as I love hearing from everyone. I haven't allowed anonymous comments for more than a year now and I can't say that I've had any problems with that at all. Truly I just think it's a bit overboard, blogger has a spam comment filter anyway...do we really need another Nanny...?
Lizzie
xxx

willywagtail said...

Excellent sculptures there. I like the idea of someone else writing about anothers art work. I guess that teaches collaboration skills and also shows the artist that others may perceive their work in different ways to theirs. I am just about to turn off word verification on my blog as I truly find the new words very hard to decipher. I think they should leave such difficulties for more important sites than just social ones like blogging. Thanks for the tip. Cherrie

Shirley said...

I hate word verification as they are just too difficult to read sometimes. What a lovely experience for the young ones and great encouragement for them to be creative. Who knows where it will lead them.

Liz said...

Is that an angry bird? Glad they had a good time.
Word verification, good riddence, mostly uninteligable anyway.

Clare Wassermann said...

I like the idea of that workshop. Back to school and a lottle more freedom huh?

Clare said...

Sounds as if they had a ball.

I've turned off the CAPTCHA too. It's driving me nuts!

Tanya said...

Two more artists in the family!