Friday, October 14, 2011

A Lone Star look-a-like...

Another project started...yes I know I haven't finished anything lately, but I'm afraid I work a little like the bus company and all my finishes will come in all at once! :o)

A couple of years ago I won a gorgeous Lollipop jelly roll by Sandy Gervais and I have finally cut into it! (Do you sense a theme?...it's like the Oh Cherry fabrics)



At first I was just going to make a standard Lone Star Quilt as I made one of these many moons ago and really enjoyed the challenge.  But as I was flipping through a really old book I noticed this variation and thought it would make for a new twist.



I sewed 2 sets of brown and orange strips and then using the 45ยบ angle on my ruler I made my first cut and then measured 2.5"  from the edge to cut the segments. I cut 8 from each strip set and each segment was paired and sewn in to a "4 patch" diamond.  (I had 8 of these all together)



Now try as I might I could not work out the maths ahead of time to cut the next strip to size which in this case was the blue fabric.  So I decided to wing it and cut it slightly oversized using the "4-patch" diamond as a rough guide. Once sewn I could trim the edges to match the 4-patch diamond.  I worked out very quickly that I would need 8 for each side of my 4 patch diamond shape and that they would be the same size and 1/2 would be the mirror image.  So 8 going one way and 8 going the other.  The best way to achieve this was to leave the jelly roll folded in half so for every cut I was getting two; one of each shape. Clear as mud I'm sure! :o)

The orange diamond at the top was cut from a strip 2.5" in width much like the diamonds at the beginning.



The orange diamonds were sewn to one set of the blue strips first and then added to the unit which had the other blue strip making sure to line up the junction of the seams correctly...probably the hardest part, but once you get a feel for it it gets easier.



Round and round I went, adding yellow and green rounds in the same manner.


And this is as far as I have gotten...8 diamonds ready to be sewn into a star.  I'm afraid I'm going to leave you in suspense until I get this project sewn together with its background pieces!  And I really hope that I end up with a flat star and not something that Madonna would be proud to wear.  I made sure to use lots of  Dylon Easy Iron (a bit like starch) to keep everything flat!

Until next time...

16 comments:

karenfae said...

It is nice to see what you are doing with your jelly roll - I won that same kind of fabric but in a layer cake. I am working on a quilt top with it right now using the Kansas Dugout Blocks.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Janet said...

What an interesting star! It looks great so far in those fabrics. I enjoyed reading about your process and I'm cheering for a flat star for you :0)

LynCC said...

OK, that's a really neat lonestar cousin

em's scrapbag said...

This is going to be beautiful. Love the fabrics.

Leah said...

Looks wonderful so far. Can't wait to see more of it in the future.

Jane in Wales said...

Oh, it looks lovely. I can't wait to see the quilt!
Jane

susan said...

It looks like it is going to be fabulous. Can't wait to see it develope.

Trudi said...

It's going to be fab!

Superior Threads said...

I love the colors too. And, I really appreciate your tutorial. Thank you so much.
Ricci

Katie said...

Isn't that interesting. Congrats for working it out! :-)

Thimbleanna said...

You're too funny. Perhaps we should send Madonna your link, just in case? That's going to be super cute -- I can't wait to see if put together!

mblittle5 said...

Like a cross between a lone star and a log cabin. I love it!!

Jackie said...

Jane, you're funny! I'm quite sure your quilt is going to be beautiful!

Lesley said...

Jane, I love your star! Must be the Canadian background with the fall colors, heehee! Will look forward to seeing the next stage. And don't you just love those Sandy Gervais fabrics...they are yummy!

Sue-Anne said...

I am really looking forward to seeing how your quilt comes together. i love the colours you are using.

Lynda said...

I never knew how much I would regret not paying more attention in Maths classes! They didn't tell me it was vital for quilters!