Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hello? Anybody still there?

Just where did the last three weeks go!?  I swear someone hit the fast forward button when I wasn't looking!  Well I'm just about here with a little update in the quilting dept. :o)
If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you'll know that I have been working on the Lynne Edwards Sampler Quilt with some friends.  During the summer we chose to work on the twisted star block and these are my two...one in pinks and the other in homespuns.



Isn't it interesting to see how different the block looks in different colours!



Then in an effort to see the project completed for the new year, we opted to make 2 blocks in the month of August and these are those blocks.



Lynne's version was made using 1/2 square triangles and hour glass blocks, so to set a bit of a challenge for myself I redrafted these in EQ7 to lose some of the seams.



Next was the Carolina Lily block with all its Y seams.  Although I love the effect of this block in the homespuns I wouldn't recommend it.  Those bias edges with the looser weave of the fabric made piecing this block a nightmare!



Here it is in more traditional fabrics.  I haven't quilted it yet, but you can see the faint blue lines where the quilting will go.





Apologies to my regular readers for the long silence...it was just that life got busy (redecorating and car troubles... stories for another day!)
Things are looking to settle down now and and I'm hoping that I'll get back into a routine with more regular posting...
Until next time...

21 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow - your blocks are beautiful, Jane. And you're right - they take on a totally different look in the various fabrics.

Don't apologize for being busy. That's the way life is and sometimes (just sometimes, mind you) there are more important things to do than blogging ;)

Terry said...

Your blocks are so pretty! I love the homespun ones! :0)

Jackie said...

Love your blocks - the look of them is very different because of the fabrics like you said. I'd like to hear more about how you decide on a quilt pattern. The blue lines on the photo towards the end show something interesting will be going on!

Leanne said...

Fast forward happens in my life all the time. Love that first block. It always amazes me how much fabric and colour can change a block.

Lina said...

Wow, the twisted star block is just beautiful!

sewkalico said...

Great blocks and so different from each other in the different colourways! Of course the Carolina Lily is my favourite and I just love it in the homespuns!!

susan said...

Fabulous blocks. And life is like that - busy and taking over from other things. Hope things settle for you.

Kim said...

Hi Jane! At least you make a pit stop here to check in...unlike me. Good to see that you are having some fun sewing with friends. :)

Janet said...

Your blocks are gorgeous!! I love to see the contrast of the 2 fabric types. I can totally relate to your fast forward feeling.

supermom said...

All your blocks are really lovely. And you're right... different fabric choices completely change the look and feel of a block.

Quilter Kathy said...

Very challenging blocks you are tackling there! Very pretty!

Sue-Anne said...

Your blocks look great Jane and isn't it amazing how different they look!

Quiet Quilter said...

Just keep coming back with lovely blocks like these and nothing will be said.....except NICE!

Amanda said...

I think these must be fro Lynne Edwards' second book? I made my first quilt using her first book and love it. I've got the second book but haven't started yet. I really like the homespun blocks, but think I prefer the others this time. Sometimes blogging has to slip way down the list; I'm always amazed at the people who keep blogging every day, they must be very disciplined or have very quiet lives.

Trudi said...

your blicks are beautiful!

Shirley said...

Well worth the wait Jane. All looks so good.

Timi said...

Beautiful!!! It was worth waiting for this post to see these wonderful photos...:o)))♥

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful blocks Jane! I particularly like the Lily blocks -- very pretty!

searchfamilies said...

What lovely blocks they are really nice
Hugs Janice

anne bebbington said...

Nice to see you're still making use of those plaids I sent you :) - I'd have thought they'd all be used up by now - amazing how the same block looks so different in the change of fabric styles

Kathie said...

great blocks , I LOVE your carolina lily block, great fabric choices! can't wait to see it quilted.
its a block I have always loved, haven't tackled it yet one of these days!
Kathie