Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's a hair thing...

I said I was going to post in themes..and today's theme is Hair!
Check out this hairdresser in Blairgowrie... LOL - what a great name for a business.



On one of the days along our travels we got off the beaten track looking for fossils.  We didn't find any fossils, but we found these lovely horses. 



They kind of remind me of Wayne's World!  LOL



Back in Blairgowrie at the top of a very steep hill we found these gorgeous Highland Cattle (thanks Gill for the correction :o)





Maria Chalmers (daughter of William Chalmers from Blairgowrie)
with her grandson...my grandfather Milton
Now I have mentioned Blairgowrie twice in this post and I'd like to explain why were were there.  In my family history we are linked to the Chalmers Family..specifically the line that comes from the Blairgowrie region.  In fact the Chalmers family had a castle in that region which now lays in ruin and I was hoping we might find it.  When we arrived in Blairgowrie I went into the Tourist Information Centre and asked about the ruined castle.  The man began to tell me about the remains of the Castle Glasclune to which I had to interrupt him and say, "oh no, I meant the other castle...the Castle Drumlochy".  He looked taken back and confused and took a moment before he said, "what? well that's only a pile of rubble!"  None the less that was the castle I was interested in...possibly my family's ancestral home!
The two castles share an interesting history and it was in fact the feuding neighbours (the Herons), owners of the Castle Glasclune that managed to fire a cannon (in the 16th century) at the Castle Drumlochy which destroyed it.
We made a valiant effort trying to find the right path to the ruins, but unfortunately, we didn't find it. 
Just the same I was really pleased to visit the area.  We are fortunate enough to know quite a bit of information about my mother's side of the family and know that my great-great-great grandfather was born and raised at the Mains of Mause in Blairgowrie as were at least 3 generations before him. 
It was great to visit for the day and once again treated to a day of sunshine and another perfect location for a picnic.

Until next time...

9 comments:

Marydon said...

Jane so love the visit with the horse & cows ... but I adore that vintage photo & story.

Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY (no emails), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored. Please share this with your freinds.

Have a beautiful week.
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon

paula, the quilter said...

Curl Up and Dye beauty salon was in the first Blues Brothers movie. Here's a link: http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/locations/beauty-salon/

*karendianne. said...

Gosh that's some really neat history you have about your family. Actually, it's kind of exciting!!! What a beautiful Angus cow. Never seen anything like that. I'm not much of a meat eater but now I'm in ruins over the Angus beef. Forget it!!

black bear cabin said...

thats too bad you couldnt find the ruins...but what an interesting tale. perhaps on your next visit you will have more luck! as for the waynes world comment, that had me cracking up! :) loved it!

trooppetrie said...

i am new to your blog and have really enjoyed looking around. I love your water color. i did not catch on that it was there in the first couple of pictures

Amanda said...

How lucky to have such a romantic place to visit to try and find your ancestors. Mine mostly came from East London and Manchester and although I'd love to visit Manchester one day to look around at their haunts it's somehow not on the list of places we want to get to.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh, you lucky, lucky girl! I LOVE Scotland! We did the same thing -- looking for family places and it's so fun. Love that cute shop name! (And how perfect -- my word verification is kiltross LOL!)

gill said...

Great photos! especially the Highland cattle (not Angus!)

Tim Edwards said...

The ruins of Drumlochy Castle are easy to find as I have recently been photographing both that and Glasclune . As for the cannon thing I am not sure??? Tim.